back to article Oracle, Sun set to light FlashFire

It looks like Sun Microsystems and its soon-to-be owner, Oracle, are not going to wait until October 14 to talk up a combined Sun server and storage product paired with the Oracle relational database, a device all tuned up for online transaction processing. As El Reg reported two weeks ago, Oracle was fixing to demonstrate its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shaun Hunter
    Thumb Up

Dind't understand the doubt's

I've posted various places over the last few month's. Sun and Oracle in their entireties makes sense. OracleDB + Solaris + Sparq is and institution in government and big enterprise.

This is an excellent play by Oracle against IBM's market dominance and vertical integration. DB2 is a threat to Oracle as IBM could pull a Microsoft and offer it a huge discounts during server/mainframe sales and upgrades.

It's a ballsy gamble, but a good one.

I think it will give some direction for Sun as well. Something they seem to desperately need.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Anything out of the Ordinary is Significant and usually Troublesome *

"Not many vendors send out notices of announcements on a Sunday afternoon as part of their regular PR efforts." ...... No they don't. Are they Spooked into Precipitate Action?

* Crikey, I'll have to stop with those Donald Pills already. And whom do you know with SMARTer Modern Past Experience of Dealing with and Ending Troubles?

3. David Halko
    Happy

Moving up the product announcement 1 month...

Moving up the product announcement 1 month was quite an accomplishment - I am glad they did not let the market wait another month!

Author writes, "perhaps bearing the Database Machine name for the server cluster and the Exadata name for the disk array."

In the various advertisements I have received, that seems to be the name on the side of the photos!

http://www.sun.com/featured-articles/2009-0911/feature/index.jsp

Another loser on this seems to be HP, who was Oracle's original partner with Exadata from under 1 year ago... the migration may be on...

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2008/080924xa.html

Note the other loser from that HP announcement - Linux may be getting displaced within Oracle by Solaris.

"Oracle Database 11g and Oracle Real Application Clusters on Oracle Enterprise Linux"

Perhaps... the October announcement may be different from the announcement tomorrow - let's see what candy is at the store tomorrow!

4. Ian Michael Gumby
    Coat

@Shaun & Dave

Shaun,

IBM can't pull a *Microsoft* because of how IBM is set up internally. What they could do is on the mainframe, continue to discount the $$$ for the Mips used to run DB2.

Of course that's not the answer since Oracle is touting a new LUW class server. (Linux/Unix/Windows) or 'distributed' in IBM parlance.

What IBM would have to do is to build out a significant P Series box w SSD flash drives to be on par with Sun/Oracle's proposed solution.

As to moving the announce date forward a month, hardly a shocker.

The fact is that prior to the announcement, they had to have already done a 'first run' of the TPC-C benchmark on the proposed hardware. To announce something and not having the answer in the bag would be foolish at best, career ending at a minimum. So they make the pre-announcement, with the lag time between the pre-announcement and announcement used to improve the performance numbers. Then if your competitor gets wind, you go forward with the benchmark results and continue to improve upon them until they get audited. (The announcements you see are for unaudited results.)

What this means is that you can expect a response from IBM.

Too bad its going to be on DB2. IDS would have smoked either DB2 or Oracle. ;-)

-G

5. Jesper Frimann
    Big Brother

Re:David Halko

Yes the big looser here, with regards to the 'Database Machine', seem to be HP.

// Jesper

Bigbrother cause something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

6. Jesper Frimann
    Big Brother

RE:Shaun.

Working for a company that is both a big Oracle and SUN customer, I must say I don't share your excitement, at all.

Well the problem here is that, if you look at the roadmap that was 'leaked' here on theregister then it's really a disaster in the non-niagara space.

The APL line is simply not going to evolve in the next 3 years. 500Mhz is really not that impressive.

IMHO, this is a clear signal from Snoracle, push the platform that will enable you to sell a lot of software licenses, and put the consolidated large servers, which are expensive to develop, out to slowly dwindle away.

You can be certain that HP and IBM will be throwing good offers at all the SUN costumers that have 'largish' M[589]000 series or equivalent older machines.

A shame IMHO.

// Jesper

Big Brother cause something is rotten in the state of Denmark

7. David Halko
    Go

RE: Moving up the product announcement 1 month...

DavidHalko said, "Moving up the product announcement 1 month was quite an accomplishment - I am glad they did not let the market wait another month!... Perhaps... the October announcement may be different from the announcement tomorrow"

Well, I guess my excitement balanced with a nagging question was pretty telling... I should have known better than to suspect that a product announcement was moved up 1 month. it appears that the new September Intel product release is distinct from the soon-to-be October SPARC announcement.

Since Oracle & Sun have released their first Intel based offering since the acquisition announcement - this indicates the Intel line is secure for the future.

Enough information has been published about the October benchmark publication and SPARC road map sine the acquisition announcement - this indicates that the SPARC line is secure for the future.

OK - Let's see what October brings from Oracle & Sun!

Will it be OpenSPARC or SPARC64?

8. Jesper Frimann
    Big Brother

RE:RE:Moving up the product announcement 1 month

"Enough information has been published about the October benchmark publication and SPARC road map sine the acquisition announcement - this indicates that the SPARC line is secure for the future."

Eh ?

Did we see the same roadmap ?

In the next 3 years the APL line will ...

1) Be on the same processor manufacturing technology.

2) Have the same number of cores per chip.

3) Have the same number of threads per core

4) Increase a staggering 500 Mhz in speed.

5) Be manufactured by TSMC, which haven't really manufactured Highend Server Processors before. No Intel Atom, and Graphics chips from nVidia don't count.

As I said before the IBM and HP sales people who sell highend systems will have a field day.

// Jesper

Big Brother cause something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like