back to article Microsoft $358m patent violation damages tossed

Microsoft has successfully dodged a court ruling that would have sent hundreds of millions of Redmond dollars to long-running litigant Alcatel-Lucent. An appeal overturned a $358m award to the telecoms equipment company, after Microsoft was found to have infringed on an Alcatel patent in Outlook. Judges heading the appeal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bs

Not even Microsoft should have to deal with software patent BS. This crap just stagnates innovation.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

By that standard, I should own a good part of lower Manhattan

"display a month's calendar as a grid and then translate the date into an appointment date form"

358 million dollar? Shifted the decimal point by 8 order of magnitude, right?

3. pjnola

Revolutionary!

Displaying a calendar as a grid! What will they think of next?

4. Lionel Baden
    FAIL

WTF!!!

that it displays the calender as a grid !!

guess they better Sue every single calender printer in the world

they all come in grids

5. Qux
    WTF?

Calendar patent??

I'll be the first to bash Microsoft, but this is really a case of one of those patents that should never have been granted in the first place:

"Outlook's calendaring function infringed on the patent in the way it displays a month's calendar as a grid and then translates the date into an appointment date form"

6. The Ref
    FAIL

another software patent joke ...

Another ridiculous software patent that makes a mockery of the system. "Displays the month as a grid, then turns the date into an appointment form". This is a standard calendar which has been around for centuries mixed with standard drilldown characteristics - hardly novel!

I am, in principal, in favour of software patents if they are truly an invention. An implementation of an algorithm that is radically different may be patentable, but showing the date as a grid ... come on.

The number if lunatic decisions in the patent system means all software patents should be thrown out and a new system where there is some proof of innovation is required should be implemented. this new protection should allow only a few years of protection.

7. Wonko the Sane

Patent reform

"The case claimed Outlook's calendaring function infringed on the patent in the way it displays a month's calendar as a grid and then translates the date into an appointment date form."

What a crock. Yes they got the patent, yes MS violated it. But a patent that stupid and obvious should never have been granted in the first place.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oh PUH-LEASE!

"The case claimed Outlook's calendaring function infringed on the patent in the way it displays a month's calendar as a grid and then translates the date into an appointment date form."

And that would make every calendar in the world an infringement, ESPECIALLY those large paper desktop blotter/calendars that you can write your appointment date in the square that represents the day in question.

And what the heck is "an appointment date form"? All appointments have a date and time associated with them... how the heck can anyone patent that?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not unreasonable - but

It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask them to show how much damage has been caused.

Can we now expect the same treatment for individuals fined on the basis of claims from the recording industry? That they actually prove the damage/loss caused...

10. It wasnt me

WTF?

There you have it. Right there above look. That is the reason why the US patent system should be put to sleep.

Its a fucking calendar!!!!!!!! Theye been doing it for centuries on paper, printing a small one and then a large one for the day next to it. I saw one from the 1840's this weekend. Any0one who thinks that is worth 6 million USD, let alone 350 million odd USD needs summarily shooting. When is enough enough?

11. John Chadwick

This is looney..

I'd have though the patent on displaying a calendar as a grid belonged to someone like Letts, or Filofax, or whoever first came up with the idea, I've been using calendars for 40 years that display months, even years as grids.

How on earth did Alcatel get granted a patent for that, it's just obvious. If you can do it on paper, then you can do it in a GUI.

12. Wokstation

Sounds like copyright infringers should get that guy...

..."RIAA, please prove that the accused cost you $10,000, as this is what you claim in damages".

13. Grease Monkey Silver badge
    FAIL

It's not just software patents...

... it seems that there are loads of patents for things that are either obvious, subject to loads of prior art or so vague as to be meaningless (and I think this patent fits into all of those categories) which according to the rules should never have been granted.

The patents system is a complete and utter mess and needs to be revisited urgently. I have an interest in kites as power sources for boats and ships and looking at some of the patents that have been granted over the last few years in that area will show you what a joke the whole patent system has become.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Gaz 6
    Thumb Down

@AC RIAA damages

They have a law that was bribed--- sorry, LOBBIED---- into existence so the RIAA doesn't have to prove damages..it's there built into the civil law code... Thumbs down big time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like