back to article Amazon red cards 'offensive' Man Utd chant CD

Offensive chants on a Manchester United CD aimed at Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger have prompted online e-tailer Amazon.co.uk to withdraw it from sale. The London club complained that the lyrics of a song on the Manchester United Chants CD were defamatory, prompting Amazon.co.uk to pull its sale, the BBC reports. The Beeb omits to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AC 4
    Dead Vulture

Aha, El Reg FALE!

Unofrtunately my bestest buddies, the chant actually went more like

"Sit down you ..."

I was part of the group of fans that highlighted the story to the sport.co.uk website who were then picked up on by the beeb et al.

Either way, like you say a) why is that even included as a manure chant CD and b) so long as it's been dropped.

2. Richard 81
    Troll

Well

There are always one or two things, which a perfectly normal, rational person would, if put in a position of absolute power, throw their conscience away and carry out a good ol'fashioned smashing of human rights for. Along with the wilful fouling of public toilets, which under my rule would quickly land you in the scorpion pit, I would have to say that football hooliganism, or just taking the game at all seriously would be grounds for chemical castration. No testosterone, no problem.

Vote Richard81 for despot 2009

3. Alex 32

So rap artistes?

What about all the music artistes that defame others?

Take Eminem for instance...

Curious is all, not bothered.

4. Nate Phillips
    Coat

..the rest of the verse?

I'm a sad Yank, and barely follow football (the real kind, not the American garbage)...and I can't for the life of me, figure out what the rest of the verse is!

Could someone from the other side of the pond enlighten me?

No coat to pick up; I never took it off. But nevertheless, it's the one with "dumb bloke" on the back.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still for sale on all the otehr Amazon sites

Amazon.com, Amazon.de and Amazon.fr still happily sellling it

6. Les Matthew

@Nate Phillips

Think of an old man with sweets and something that rhymes with smile. ;)

7. Les Matthew

sweets

Are what you would call candy.

forgot that one.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: ..the rest of the verse?

It alleges, without any evidence what so ever, that he is a "fucking paedophile".

What, you were expecting it to rhyme? Scansion?

9. Johnny Canuck

rhymes with smile

and starts with paedo

10. Maverick
    Troll

@ Nate Phillips

I'd hazard a guess that it rhymes with "smile" - well in a Manc accent anyway :)

but you knew that didn't you?

shame on you for trying to trick me into incurring the wrath of the moderatrix on a Friday afternoon

naughty chap !

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sue the mancs

We gooners need to shoot film of Manc fans using this disgusting chant. Then issue the writs for slander. Will raise millions for transfer funds.

12. Graham Marsden

@Nate Phillips

I, too, have no interest in football, but at a guess, the word ends in -phile.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@dumb yank

think of a generic word that might be used to describe phillip garrido that is meant to rhyme with 'smile'

pretty tasteless indeed

14. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Facts..

" despite coming second best to the Gunners for much of the game " - Actually Man Utd had more possession, more shots on goal on and off target, more corners, and of course, fewer yelliow cards. You shouldn't believe all you read in the Wenger-worshiping London press...

15. VanDiesil
    Megaphone

I was at Old Trafford on Saturday.....

The actual chant that caused all the rumpus on Saturday went like this (censored obviously for libel reasons !!!)....

"With his bag of sweets, & his boyish smile, Arsene Wenger is a "Person like Gary Glitter that rhymes with Feed O File"...".

Shouty Shouty Shouty because thats what we did :o)

16. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Unhappy

@Nate Phillips

Same side of the pond as you (just a few blocks south of the border) and same problem over here... I just can't figure out what completes that verse.

Hope some British Lady or Gentleman can help us here...

17. Stu Wilson
    WTF?

@Nate

it rhymes with smile and involves children.

ill spell it out for you, take the missing words and put them together

... Wee Herman

Pilsbury ... Boy

Rank and ...

18. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@Nate Phillips

Like so many chants (except the ones about Lids) there is no basis to it at all - and I think there is some grudging respect for Wenger in the red part of Manchester, at least for the style of football the Arse play - and I'll admit to being a little taken aback myself when I heard it the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcaL73NVmw8

@ El Reg do we get a three stripes and a three sails icon for our football moments?

19. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Hmmm

... that from your Register football correspondent. Now over to Tom with the weather...

20. Number6

Collector's Item?

Those copies already in the wild have probably multiplied in value now.

21. Richard Scratcher
    IT Angle

@Nate Phillips

The rest of the chant makes fun of Arse 'n' Wenger's seeming inseparability from his Palm Tungsten E2. He's always fiddling with - keeping track of match stats, injury time, etc. This has earned him the reputation for being a bit of a technophile...or PDAphile to be more precise.

22. b166er

Looks on

as El Reg tries to hew in another trollbus. Warmongers!

23. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Not even new.

I first heard this one from a Scots bloke who'd been to Paris for the Scotland / Brazil match in the World Cup.

He said they were signing it in the bar afterwards with Ronaldo as the target (it scans then too). Since it starts: "There's only one Ronaldo. One Ronaldo." and then goes for the punch and since the assembled Brazilians spoke no English, every time they sang it they got a round of free drinks!

24. Trevor 3

@ Stu Wilson, Vandiesil, others

oooh you poor geeks, can't say paedophile?

Do you think that if you say it 3 times you become one?

It's just a word guys/gals. Just a word.

Trev

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like