back to article NASA orbiter snaps Apollo 12 landing site

NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) has snapped the Apollo 12 landing site where, on 14 November 1969, astronauts Alan Bean and Pete Conrad touched down to begin their 32-hour stay on the lunar surface: LRO image of the Apollo 12 landing site. Pic: NASA The Intrepid spacecraft touched down within 200 metres of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

show me the footprints

OK, while I'm not a faked landing conspiracy kinda guy, just showing a few blobs on a photo and saying "this is the such-and-such" and "that's part of something else" doesn't have much credibility. However, if I could see a flag, and actual space-junk and maybe the footprints the astronauts left behind, then we're getting somewhere.

Until then: meh!

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Next year...

...the Google Crater-view [TM] van will pass right by each of the Apollos remains....

BTW: Up yours, anti-moon landing conspiracy nuts!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Fake!!

Clearly Photoshopped. Anyone can draw a bunch of arrows on a photo....

4. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Happy

So not a fake them

So how are the moon conspiracy nuts going to wriggle out of this one then.

A special prize to the first person on here who types "It's obviously photoshopped" like the above mentioned nuts will.

El Reg, still awaiting that "It's Friiiddaayyyy!" icon

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Great

That proves everything!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So..

it turns out that NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter is really just suspended from a studio roof. Who'da thunk it!

Tin foil wrapped one please, that has the instructions for placing your tongue into your cheek in the pocket.

7. b166er
    Joke

Photos

or it didn't happen.

8. Richard 81
    Thumb Up

Yay

It won't really shut the conspiracy nuts up for good, but it's a start.

9. Tom Paine
    Thumb Up

Phil Stooke strikes again

"Where NASA got it wrong": http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002083/

Phil Stooke rules OK.

10. 4a$$Monkey
    Black Helicopters

FAKE!

Clearly they had some kind of automated footprint making robot. But I'm not fooled! NO SIREE!!

11. WonkoTheSane
    FAIL

This'll show them

Them being the 2 Bangladeshi newspapers who not only believed, but published "The Onion's" fake moon landing story.

Source BBC here:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8237558.stm

12. Annihilator
    Troll

@SmallYellowFuzzyDuck

"So how are the moon conspiracy nuts going to wriggle out of this one then."

It will *never* shut them up. Some branches of the Nuts Association are of the opinion that unmanned landers made it, and this is all we're seeing. In their minds, there is NOTHING that you can't fake. Messages coming back from any subsequent landings can just be relays on the moon. Even if NASA offers them a free trip to the moon, that channel 4 mockumentary where they took a handful of idiots into "orbit" (read: studio in Russia) has given them all the ammunition to get around that one.

Just ignore them until they stick their hands into a combine harvester, convinced that they're faked blades.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Pete 2

The LRO camera has a resolution of 50 cm/pixel. It's not going to resolve individual bootprints.

14. Blue eyed boy

Finding the Apollo hardware on the moon

...does not prove that the craft were manned. Most moon-hoax conspiracists are happy with the idea that "something" - but not "somebody" - went to the moon. The Apollos were not the first soft-landers.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that Elvis I can see hiding in a crater?

No, my mistake, it's a dead movie director.

16. cynic 2
    Grenade

Definite fake!

Gotta be a fake -- I can't see a Clanger anywhere.

17. Graham Marsden
    Grenade

The astronauts...

... should have stamped "Kilroy was here" into the dust!

18. Richard Cartledge
    FAIL

FAKE!

OMG FAKE!!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the Roquefort?

No cheese, no point.

20. detritus
    Alien

Additional blobs?

I wonder what the similar-looking entities in the top-left corner of that image are?

21. Luther Blissett

Oh look 8 o'clock down from main crater

It's where some astronaut got an oxygen high from doing the 'roo and fell into a little crater. If not, what?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

[title]think of your own title[/title]

anything short of making a new saturnV and sticking an exact replica of what they sent up on apolo 11 on the top of it, stuffing a few conspiracy nutters in it, sending them off to the moon they will claim fake to any proof offered........

and even if you did the above, the tin foil hat brigade will still cry foul, accusing nasa of "getting to them"

i find it best to ignore the nutters.....

23. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

To title or not to title...

So the LRO can get pretty good pics from the Australian Desert. Who would have thought it?

Now, where's my hat? Oh, here it is! http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

24. Herby

It might be convincing idea if...

...They detonated a nice A-Bomb on the surface and told everyone here on earth when it was going to happen. Then we could all look up into the sky and watch "from a safe distance". While it wouldn't do much, it sure would be a nice show. It might even get rid of some "waste" if done correctly. The problem is that I'm sure there would be lots of people objecting to it (exercise: Name the groups/whackos). Maybe when a lunar eclipse comes about and the "green cheese" is dark it would be an interesting demonstration.

Ah, to dream.

p.s. I did have the occasion to shake Pete Conrad's hand, and that is about as close as I'll get to the moon's surface (*SIGH*).

25. Jesse Dorland
    Linux

Don't insult conspiracy ppl

How come NASA orbiter didn't take lunokhod picture?

For the uninitiated Lunokhod was the first of two unmanned lunar rovers landed on the Moon by the Soviet Union as part of its Lunokhod. Some of these machines are bigger compare to NASA stuff on "moon".

There’s nothing wrong with doubting in a government. Obama promised the public job security on more than one occasion. However, once he came in power he picked up where Bush left off. How about WMD in Iraq? All things considered, being suspicious of the government is healthy, and it’s well justified. I am quite sure our buddy Orwell would have added some chapters in his marvelous book 1984. Remember, how big brother used Television as a weapon to control the mind of its citizen?

Like it or not nothing short of live landing on moon -- all the way from launch - to landing would shut anyone up. I never cared for Moon landing hoax, but I've more respect for them than those who disses them. After all it takes guts to stand up, and call this national icon "hoax". Specially, anyone who doesn't agree with government is called terrorist sympathizer.

Finally, there are some good reason not to take "NASA" version seriously. The original tapes -- which recorded the landing on the moon, and playing golf and all the that are "missing". According to NASA, they got lost in Australia. These were black and white, but very much like HD quality.

26. Joe Cooper
    Joke

@Pete 2

God, if only we had pictures of those things..!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Conspiracy people

What amuses me about the moonlanding conspiracy people is that they believe an administration who couldn't even burgle a hotel without getting caught (The Watergate) could sucessfully fake a manned landing on another celesital body, where the whole of the rest of the world were watching in very great detail.

28. Joe Cooper
    Flame

Hoax

"but I've more respect for them than those who disses them."

People don't diss them because they're standing up to the government.

They diss them because HBs are everything they claim to hate.

Firstly, they mindlessly echo anything they're told if it fits with their world view. The prime example is the black sky on the Moon. They don't understand how a camera works, and refuse to learn - they are willfully ignorant - but will repeat it over and over again no matter how many times its explained to them because it fits with their fantasy.

Secondly, they are arrogant. They say "If I don't understand what I'm looking at, than the only possible explanation is that something nefarious is going on. There is abosuletly no way that I could simply be a dumbass."

"Specially, anyone who doesn't agree with government is called terrorist sympathizer."

This is dystopian fantasy. Especially the part where you suggest that ANYONE agrees with the government.

"Like it or not nothing short of live landing on moon -- all the way from launch - to landing would shut anyone up."

That's irrational.

Now photos are easier to fake than ever.

Furthermore, HBs spend all their time poking holes in photos by pointing at things they don't understand.

They won't understand new live footage either.

They sky will still be black. Hypergols will still burn with an invisible flame in space. Lunar soil will still hold a print.

The flag will still wave when someone twists it back and forth to jam it into the ground.

It will, just like last time, continue to wave for an extended period because there is no wind drag to stop the waving.

And HBs will still refuse to understand any of these things.

A few months ago, people like you said repeatedly that satellite photos would do it, and would complain that there were no satellite photos.

Now you want a video recording, as if we don't already have that?

The idea that it would shut ANYONE up is at best disenguous.

The willful ignorance, disingenuousness, lies and fantasy of hoax believers is nothing to respect.

29. Andy3

It's a fake, I tell ye!

You'll never get anywhere with the conspiracy nuts. Even if you showed them hi-def images of the American Flag sticking out of the surface, they'd just say it's a fake. Forget them, we all know they landed.

30. Andy ORourke
    Grenade

@Don't insult conspiracy ppl

FFS

"there are some good reason not to take "NASA" version seriously. The original tapes -- which recorded the landing on the moon, and playing golf and all the that are "missing". According to NASA, they got lost in Australia. These were black and white, but very much like HD quality."

Have a look:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/110442/WORLD-EXCLUSIVE-NASA-finds-missing-moon-landing-tapes

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like