back to article iPhone taught to edit Office 2007 docs, sheets

You can now edit Office 2007 docs and spreadsheets on your iPhone. Today, Quickoffice rolled out a new version of its iPhone office app suite that handles .docx and .xlsx files produced by Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows and Office 2008 for Mac. "We said it was coming, and now it's here," Gregg Fiddes, the company's vp of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dustin 1
    Alert

Huh...

Then wouldnt they be in violation of the patent the MS just got sued for?

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Paris Hilton

I look forward to the day ...

... when that clown next to me on the plane will be able to throw away the Palm Pilot and translate "War and Peace" into Samoan on an iPhone.

I look forward for two reasons:

1. I have a birthday that year and I like parties where cake is served.

2. It will probably snow that winter. I like snowflakes. There will probably be a Snow Angels app I can use year-round too.

Paris, because completely ridiculous is not useless enough for some people.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Novice

I'm curious why Open Office can't be recompiled for the iPhone - I'm assuming it's written in C and requires some re-writing of quite a few components to do with the different libraries... ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Thanks el reg :)

I will not need to buy a battery for my (old) pocket pc now

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So has anyone used this?

Does it actually work?

6. Wrenchy
    Flame

The only way...

the iPhone can become a useful device - Editing Microsoft documents. Why not just buy a Win-Mo phone instead of that iCrap?

Kinda like - Why buy a Mac when we all know you're just going to install Windows to make it functional? Just get a PC? Easy as pie.

C'mon Apple fanbois, you know it true.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC 21:56

Oh, I know, I know, is it because OOo's GUI is already like an explosion in an icon factory that took out the menu factory next door and is completely unusable in a touchscreen environment 3.5" across?

8. Martin Huizing
    Paris Hilton

The future of computing is here!

iPhone connected to that Pico laser projector (pocket size) and laser keyboard to type on any surface and voila! You are a document editing Über-geek!

http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

http://www.microvision.com/pico_projector_displays/

Paris, 'cause she likes to accessorize too!

9. Pedantic Twat
    Joke

@Wrenchy

"C'mon Apple fanbois, you know it true."

Yeah, sentence isn't it we can make proper like.

10. Des
    Thumb Down

Business apps?

Of course, you're not allowed to use it as a genuine business app as that would go against the terms and conditions as pointed out in previously articles featured on this site. I have an iPhone 3G; moved to it after years of mediocre performance on WinMo's, will probably move back to WinMo's when this contract expires. Nice try Apple, but must stop raving about exciting new features; cut & paste, video, etc.

11. magnetik
    Thumb Down

@Wrenchy

"Why not just buy a Win-Mo phone instead of that iCrap?"

Oh sure, Win-Mo phones have multi touch so I can easily zoom in on a group of cells on my spreadsheet, right?

"Why buy a Mac when we all know you're just going to install Windows to make it functional?"

Since Microsoft writes Office for the Mac your argument is, at best, a bit of trolling, and at worst, blatantly stupid.

Not sure why anyone would want to edit office documents on a mobile (of any platform) since I would expect it's quite slow and painful. I can only really see it being practical if, for example, you had a template of a contract where you just fill in a client's details.

12. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

@Wrenchy

It's not really worth trying to point out how inane and clueless your post is - judging by your grammar you wouldn't understand anyway. Besides, the useless WinMo PocketPC here at work sits unused and gathering dust on my desk. Compared to the iPhone/iPod Touch, it's a childs' toy, only less entertaining.

Back on topic, this can only help the iPhone become more useful for business customers. Just need to overcome the kneejerk prejudice of the Wrenchy's of this world.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

if only

Only one major problem left to address: the filesystem access.

If I could put files on the iphone through wifi off my network, or through plain old bluetooth and it would work as a usb storage device (without the many workarounds) I'd ditch my winmob device, and try not to get too irritated by the lack of multitasking. Cloud syncing may be nice, but I am old fashioned and require true desktop sync/file transfer.

Or I'll just wait and hope the Pre matures faster, with true hardware access api's.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like