back to article Asus UX50V

Think stylish laptops, and brands such as Apple, Sony and, if you've a particularly bizarre sense of style, Toshiba’s Qosmio range spring to mind. Having pioneered the netbook revolution, Asus is more likely to conjure up images of small, portable and good value laptops. However, the Taiwanese giant has always had a penchant for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AdamW

is that...

Is that DVD in upside down?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judging by...

...the piss poor perfomance in the benchmarks one can only assume that this is an Apple that Foxconn has mistakenly put in an ASUS case.

Either that or ASUS now thinks it has an Apple type fanbase whose followers will stump up a tad shy of 1000 GBP for one of their laptops.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ AdamW

"Is that DVD in upside down?"

AdamW/Batman - it's quite clearly a DVD-18 :-) I did wonder myself though.

BurtW/Robin

4. Shane McCarrick

Wrong price bracket

The fact that they're plumming for the U3500 processor (5 watts under full tilt), means this is aimed at those who need battery power- yet, it doesn't compare favourably (other than with its enhanced graphics) with the likes of the £600 Acer 5810T (almost identical or even better specs).

The Asus UX50V is a nice machine- its just about £400 too expensive, or should have the U9400 in lieu of the U3500 (and even then, I'd want another lump shaved off the price).

Me- I bought the Acer 5810T, and got a U9400 engineering sample for £70 on ebay. The only laptop out there with similar specs is a Sony @ £2600, versus my £670 upgrade.

Then again- who upgrades laptops?

5. Frank Bough
    FAIL

@Chris W

did an Apple user shag your wife?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Frank Bough

She's certainly overpriced for what you get so it's a possibility.

7. Stuart Halliday
    Happy

Give a decent keyboard

Gee I wonder why it is so difficult for these Eastern companies to give us a keyboard that stretches all the way to the left or right of the case and that feels good.

They took their time getting rid of the ridge around the LCD screen to give us a thin bevel. I think they need to do the same with the keyboard.

Please guys, ask a UK or European person off the street what they want in a laptop.

8. Duncan Hothersall
    Headmaster

All that glisters

I apologise in advance, but my mother was an English teacher. The expression is "all that glisters is not gold", not "all that glitters". It's from the Merchant of Venice, and I'm well aware what sort of a twat I am thankyouverymuch.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

stand out from the crowd

"The UX50V is its latest attempt at creating a laptop for those who like to stand out from the crowd. "

Well my blue NC10 achieves that for under three hundred quid

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like