back to article LG, Sony Ericsson Windows Mobile 6.5 phones outed

LG and Sony Ericsson have joined the Windows Mobile 6.5 bandwagon, both launching 3G-capable handsets based on Microsoft’s latest phone OS. SE has formally unveiled its latest update to the Xperia smartphone range, the X2, while LG has taken the wraps off a “next generation smartphone” called the GM750. LG GM750 LG's GM750 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Hates Handles

Gah!

Sodding Vodafone! Why can't Orange get some good phones for once!??

2. Mark 65

Hmm

I thought early reports had the X2 as Android powered? Looks ok but I have a feeling they can shove Windows up their arse.

3. Shades

If...

the Sony really is as slender as the last image would suggest then it could very well be a successor to my ancient (and very nearly dead!) HTC made i-mate Jam.

Why do I have the impression the picture has been fiddled with though??

4. Bassey

Re: if...

It looks like it really is that slim. The spec sheet says;

* Size: 110 x 54 x 16 mm

* Weight: 115 grams

That's pretty damned sleek for a full QWERTY device.

5. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

SE's slow release in the US will kill me

While I love my SonyEricsson phones, I have found, through my own experience and several vendors to the USA, that SE tends to delay the "a" models of their phones to the point of obsolescence. If the X2 is world-capable, then this may mitigate the issue.

The big "for instance" right now is the C905a. It was announced around this time last year. The 'i' edition, for the other side of the pond, has seen a second revision. However, the 'a' edition has yet to see the light of day over here, and may only just now be available through AT&T -- though locked and apparently lacking the built-in email client.

But the unlocked version? No where to be found. While I loved my K790a up until it suffered severe memory corruption, and I very much like my K850i (which plays a lot of games much more slowly than the 790, go figure,) I have been drooling over the C905a since it was announced. Oh, the agony.

I am losing my faith in SE-America. I love the phones, but SE does not seem to love me.

Paris, she does not seem to love me, either.

6. thomas k.
    Thumb Up

Wow! Fast work, SE!

When I said in my comment on your Nokia N900 report that SE could take some design cues from that device, I really didn't expect such immediate results!

7. chr0m4t1c

@Gah!

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you that you don't want anything on Orange 'cos they're rubbish.

And someone else will come along to tell that person that they'd be better off on Orange 'cos Vodafone are rubbish.

I'm more interested in whether or not these phones can handle an incoming call when you're doing something else (like an e-mail or syncing) without grinding to a complete halt for ten minutes. All of my previous WM phones have failed in that ability (WM5 through to 6.1).

Mind you, in a mind-boggling first my N97 quite often hangs mid-charge; it's been better since the latest OS upgrade, but not what I'd expect from a flagship device.

Aldous Huxley was miles out with the problems of the brave new world.

Unless we're the ones on the Reservation, that is...

8. shaunm
    Thumb Up

v.nice x2

This is a serious contender for my next mobile as current one has taken sizeable damage.

Yet to decide between HTC Hero, SE satio or now this. Would definatley need to be sim free as the the vodafone mutilation of SE firmware makes the whole thing tacky.

Looking forward to a full review......

9. Catherine Keynes

Slow to market in the US

Don't blame any of the handset manufacturers for the dreadful lack of new and exciting handsets in the US, it's all down to the power games the US carriers play. There is almost no unlocked market (if you must there is Expansys) but the volumes are too small for anyone to consider it as a route for a US specific - say 850/1900MHz - product.

You need to have a carrier deal in place to ramp up manufacture and the US carriers want to know that it's a successful phone before they will commit. This caused one US carrier to look very stupid when they told Motorola that they didn't want any phones from them, and particularly not that rubbish they were going to call Razr.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like