back to article Microsoft denies "screw-Google" political lobbying

Microsoft is certainly working to outflank Google in Washington, DC, but it has dismissed the notion that it holds regular "screw Google" meetings. A company spokesperson told Daily Finance that it's absurd to hang the "screw Google" tag on meetings between chief lobbyist Fred Humphries and politicians and DC lobbyists. " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. fred slack 1
    Grenade

Master Screwer

Microsoft screws everyone else, why not Google?

2. Don Mitchell

Lobbying

Microsoft used to do almost no lobbying at all, and look where that got them. Whatever actual antitrust laws were or were not violated, that case had a lot more to do with Microsoft's competitors spending money for years, setting them up. Compare that with the occasional light slap on the wrist that Intel gets. Is it any surprise that Microsoft spents money on lobbying today? Do you think IBM, SUN, Google, and Oracle do not?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

el reg

handbags at dawn!

It looks like the reg are trying to piss off microsoft as much as apple - at least you're not being anti-competitive in your slander!

4. Tzael
    Black Helicopters

Conspiracy in the making

What a load of old tosh. A poor attempt to try and deflect scrutiny away from Google. "Hey guys, ignore Google's behaviour, come look at Microsoft and how they're supposedly holding evil discussions with politicians"...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn right...

there's no surprise there then, MS will be pulling out all the stops - Google Apps is going to decimate the MS small business market..........

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So nice

So nice to a representative democracy at work , not representing the voters but the donators and everybody blindly accepts it?

7. Bastiaan van Zwieten
    FAIL

Big companies lobbying?

I may stray from the 'real' topic here, but companies should focus their energy and resources on their products and not on lobbying.

Mixing politics with business is not a good idea, especially when companies become so big that they can actually influence politics. Whether it is Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle or any other MegaCorp, mixing politics with business will always end in vendor lock-in.

Governments should think about the future and if necessary specify the standards which software should conform to, not the other way around.

Governing is mainly data-based, this data should be available to a wide variety of operating systems, architectures and — in my opinion — to the people in general.

I greatly respect Bill Gates' 'genius' and the company that he has built, even though Microsoft Office: Mac is a crippled racing horse, but keep Microsoft away from politics!

Keep any big company away from politics for that matter.

8. Bastiaan van Zwieten
    Pint

Uh oh, I forgot ...

If you want to influence politics, join a political party or start your own.

Company politics are one thing, a country's politics are something completely different.

9. John Owens

Part of the game

MS Office for Mac is fine, it was very buggy when it first came out hower now it's actually very good. Maybe not as good as the PC version but still miles better than anything else.

Anyway yea Gates used to have the oppinion that it was "wrong" to lobby and it looks like that has changed.

I can't really blame them, Google and the rest have been outflanking them on this for ages. I agree with Gates however it's part of the game I suppose.

I just wish some of the politicians would have a little bit of integrity and not simply care about the money to get re-elected and/or the golden parachute after dinner circuit.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

well...

The Reg getting in bed with Google much recently?

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

A note on MS lobbying.

While lobbying the USG (or elected reps) is relatively new this is more likeley the shift in policy is since bad boy Billy reckoned that in a free market companies had much more to say than governments in stopping MS get what the wanted. IE Everything.

I think their lobbying of AOL to dump Netscapes as their standard browser in the install package was fairly well known. The phrase (from Gates to an AOL executive by email) of how much do you want to screw Netscape? (I'm sure other readers have the exact wording hence no quotes) did stick in the memory.

Being an ex P&G man the bald one knows that keeping Uncle Sam on side is important to avoiding too many run ins and class action law suites.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh really?

"...the effort is designed make Google look like the big high-tech bad guy here.".

Looks like the pot is trying to make the kettle look black. Perhaps they're blackening Google's name by insinuating that they have something to do with Microsoft...?

13. blackworx
    WTF?

Orphan Title, Property of Google

Google is overstepping the mark and I find myself thinking it's no bad thing thing that at least someone is briefing against them. MS may be a big bad competition-squashing monster, but it never had nearly as many tentacles as Google. Nor did it ever try so hard to make itself out to be so bloody nice all the time.

And what's with all the comments about the Reg being gratuitously anti-MS/pro-Google? Have any of you actually seen the amount of negative coverage Google is getting around here?! And every Google article has a comments page filled to the gunwales with pseudo-rabid Google apologists. WTFF?

14. MinionZero
    Big Brother

All lobbying is legalized corruption

Governments are voted in by the *people* not by corporations. Our government *representatives* are suppose to represent the best interests of the *people*, not what is in the best interests of a few powerful corporations, often at the expense of the people.

We are not the slaves of the corporations yet they keep acting like the hidden puppet masters of the governments.

But then its in the best interests of the big companies to have friends in politics to help them and its in the best interests of politicians to have friends in big business to help them get high paid jobs once they leave politics. Money and power working together ... as usual.

Lobbyists actions make democracy look just like a PR smoke screen to placate the masses into thinking they are being served when its actually the goals of the rich and powerful who are really being served, often at the expense of the people.

It seems whatever political system the world comes up with, we always end up with the rich and powerful climbing to the top to rule over us all, ultimately for their own gain at the expense of everyone they rule over. Democracy was a move to attempt to limit the excesses of the far left and far right governments, which in the end, all end up behaving the same with extreme lack of empathy over all their slave like minions. Yet all governments regardless of which stated ideology they follow, all ultimately end up being about a hierarchy of powerful people forming within them, all seeking the personal gain from having such power over others. Now democracies are maturing into yet again just another way the rich and powerful can gain the power to control the powerless masses ultimately for their own gain. So as usual the vast majority of the human race suffers, just so the minority of rich and powerful people can live the high life.

I wonder if the final answer is to create a new form of government based on technology to force total openness on the relentless power seekers and so stop this rich and powerful minority of people gaining at the expense of everyone else and to stop them gaming the system for their own gain. Ultimately governments are voted in by the *people* not by the rich and powerful and their corporations.

15. Cantankerous Old Buzzard
    Jobs Horns

Well, DUH !!

It would appear that some folks have forgotten ( or ignored ) the relevant history. We only have to hearken back to the time of "DOS ain't done 'til Lotus won't run" to conclude that this behavior is entirely NORMAL for the rain-soaked mental defectives in the Pacific Northwest.

If you prefer a different platitude, maybe "a rose by any other name" might fit the situation.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Microsoft denies "screw-Google" political lobbying

We flatly deny using the word "screw" Ours started with an "F".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like