back to article EA exec predicts PlayStation 3.5, Xbox 560

An executive at game publisher Electronic Arts has hinted that both Sony and Microsoft will roll out new consoles in stages. Speculation about an Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4 have been around since, well, two days after the Xbox 360 and PS3 were launched. But Rich Hilleman, Chief Creative Officer at EA, said: “I expect we’ll …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JeeBee
    Pint

Not an unviable option

The next XBox won't be called the 720, because that's too much like 720p, when it wants to be 1080p. The intermediary would be called the 540, not the 560 as well. Doesn't this man know his snowboard/skateboard degrees of trickery?

And I think the PS4 is exactly what he says is a PS3.5, i.e., a faster, wider (i.e., PowerXCell32 instead of Cell, maybe doubled RSX, 1GB or 2GB), but clearly the same architecture. Vastly reduced cost of development.

Beer, because it's Friday Lunchtime.

2. MarkOne
    Pint

My Predictions

The next Xbox will be like todays PS3, with Blu-Ray a standard HDD and Wifi, and the PS4 when it arrives will be an evolution of the current design. 32 SPu's a a couple of fast PPE's and the OS being an evolution of the current design too. Will make transitioning from current development to PS4 development a breeze, as all the pain would have been done in the PS2-PS3 transition.

3. David 164
    Go

The future is clear for Sony but blury for Xbox.

I completely agree with the above to poster.

But the PS4 have got a clear road map out and that anyone with half a brain can tell you the rough specs of it. new version of Xbox360 will be more difficult to predict as many of the core components of the 360 are already in need of upgrade just to make it reliable let along comparable to the ps3 overall spec.

I will be shock if someone have not already got the ps4 hardware map out and ready to launch any time Sony need it, Which is the first sign that Microsoft got a plan for a new console. Sony will probably jump the gun and an beat Microsoft to market.

4. steogede

560?

I reckon MS would have difficulty landing that one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like