back to article PS3 Slim unscrewed

As postal services the world over prepare for an flood of PlayStation 3 Slim deliveries, the guys at iFixit.com have already taken a screwdriver to Sony’s latest console. PS3_slim_ifixit_01 iFixit took the PS3 Slim to bits Sony’s chief design focus for the PS3 Slim was more effective heat dissipation, iFixit concluded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Joke

That's a big fan.

Maybe the console could double as a hover craft.

Take that Nintendo Wii!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Fan?

No its a Blower with 17 Vanes!

</Pedant>

3. Annihilator
    Coat

Something wrong with me

Whenever I see pictures like that, I get an excess saliva problem and go a bit misty eyed. I suspect the men in the white coats will come for me soon...

The one that buttons up at the back please.

4. Phillip Allen
    Go

Yes

All very good.

But will it blend?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@SmallYellowFuzzyDuck

"Psycho Mantis: I shall now demonstrate my power by making your console levitate!!!"

6. call me scruffy
    Thumb Up

Playmobile reconstruction!

Or it didn't happen!

7. OrientalHero
    Boffin

HD Audio Bitstreaming in PS3 Slim?

What Hifi was the first I noticed that pointed out that the PS3 Slim should do bitstreaming of the HD Audio from a Blu Ray disk.

http://whathifi.com/News/UPDATE-PlayStation-3-Slim-249-and-bitstream-HD-audio/

So another real world additonal functionality? Hopefully as currently I've read that the PS3 does the audio decoding itself and then you take it's analogue output on 3 cables to your amp/tv.

Having a nice home cinema amp it would be nice to utilise the decoding there as opposed to onboard.

8. MarkOne
    Gates Horns

re:HD Audio Bitstreaming in PS3 Slim?

There is absolutely no difference in quality between onboard decoding on the PS3, and sending the decoded signal via HDMI, or sending the encoded signal via HDMI and letting your amp decode it.

The only difference is because your amp is doing it, it knows what lights to light up on the front to tell you the audio decoder type...

Aside form that, there is no difference. Personally, I think the PS3 is better suited to decoding itself, as it's got much more resources to do so, is future-proof can can be updated to decode future codecs. You can buy a cheaper amp with a better output stage and just let the PS3 get on with it... Why waste your cash on a amp that does everything under the sun, when your PS3 does it anyway?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

All well and good but...

how do i fit a mod chip to it!!!!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re:re:HD Audio Bitstreaming in PS3 Slim?

@MarkOne - Wouldn't the cabling be simplified by using a digital stream instead of on-board decoding? Using analog connections for Component Video and 5.1 Channels of audio might be enough to drag the PS3 off the table.

Forgive me if I have misunderstood.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@AC 26th August 2009 15:21 GMT

The options are:

1) decoding Dolby or DTS to linear PCM and sending it to the audio receiver which then converts to analog signal and sends to speakers

2) sending the Dolby or DTS without decoding (i.e. sending a bitstream) and letting the audio receiver decode to linear PCM and convert to analog signal

In both cases the signal between PS3 and receiver is digital and you need an HDMI cable or optical cable (with limitations in the second case). In any case considering that the new Dolby and DTS HD audio formats are lossless decoding in the PS3 or in the audio receiver will not make any difference.

3) use the PS3 analog output i.e.the PS3 will decode and convert to analogue so it will definitely not output a bitstream!

12. MarkOne

@Anonymous Coward 15:21 GMT

No cabling is identical (HDMI), it's just assinging who does the decode, the PS3 or the amp, either way it stays in the digital domain, and is totally lossless. I know loads of people make a huge deal about, but all that does it higlight how little they know about what they are shouting about.

At the end of the day, it's inconsequental which does the decoding. The PS3 is more futureproof and better at decoding, the amps have little lights that tell you what codec it is.

13. John Sanders
    Grenade

Mod chip

@cornz

Just wait for the angry penguins to get their hands on the console... Sony will regret not letting Linux run on the thing.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@various

there is no such thing as lossless when converting from analogue to digital and back again. lossless only applies in the digital domain and is even then not truly lossless when the storage medium is optical. you're talking in absolutes which don't exist. ac as obviously this will upset the anti hi-fi zealots.

personally i couldn't give a shit. if it sounds good to you, hook it up whichever way you please.

15. Tar

Power Consumption

PS3 slim's low power consumption is truly amazing:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10318727-1.html

16. Threedays
    Thumb Down

Modchip?

No modchip, no success. Plain and simple, Sony you have screwed up again if this is so. No one wants a console where you have to buy every game, else you'll end up with a expensive unit with three or four games over its whole lifetime. It makes it too painful to purchase anything for the machine.

If a console has modchip and hacking scene then buying the exceptional games and those that take your fancy, is much easier then for a console with no aura.

Sony http://www.reghardware.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_down_32.png

17. darknano
    Pint

Fix it yourself and new PS3 Slim

This site is awesome. I also found a site that actually sells the new PS3 and has Console Mods and repair parts. www.channelgoods.com

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like