back to article Who rejected Google Voice on the iPhone?

So Apple is taking the fall and AT&T washes its hands of the whole affair, but would Apple still be examining Google Voice if approval wouldn't upset its biggest customer? The responses to the FCC investigation are in, and clearly state that there was no contractual agreement between AT&T and Apple to prevent VoIP, or Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Evil

Both Apple and AT&T.

Google is pretty evil too, so am glad they got screwed here too.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

Dear Apple.

".....we have yet to obtain any assurances from Google that this data will only be used in appropriate ways."

If I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for that one. Also you probably want to define "appropriate" use of your customers' data. Google's interpretation of words like "reasonable", "appropriate", "privacy" and "anonimised" has traditionally differed from that of absobloodylutely everyone else.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Anti-trust

Break up any vertically integrated company. Hardware makers can't sell OS's. OS makers can't sell Office. Apple can't sell hardware and run iTunes. The guys who run the cable to your house can't sell you internet access.

Make that one simple rule, 90% of the problems you read about in the register go away immediately.

4. F1reman
    Jobs Horns

Criminals

One can tell Steve Jobs is back in town can't one.

The Apple response is careful not to incriminate whilst making every effort to obscure the truth. Call me naive but I find Apples behaviour, to a federal organisation no less, to be no less than appalling.

The bit where Apple go on about contacts privacy and iPhone user interface is bare faced lies. I currently sync my contacts with google via google's activesync mobile sync function and this functionality is accepted by iTunes.

As for the interface rubbish - just look at textPlus please. This app completely replaces the native SMS app. TextPlus apparently pays AT-T for text messages. This is perhaps why textPlus lives on in the Appstore but then again, Google Voice uses AT&T minutes, so what's the big deal?

Article spot on.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

If you go apple...

you get what you deserve and that isent much. Not much at all.

6. JohnG

Can't you just use Fring?

I use Fring on a Nokia but doesn't the iPhone version give you access to the same services? Google Talk, Skype, etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like