back to article DARPA seeks 'Precision Electronic Warfare'

US military researchers are looking to build networks of small, low-power transmitter boxes which together can perform "surgical jamming" of digital signals - shutting down cellphones and sat nav receivers within an area "on the order of a city block corner". DARPA concept of the focus needed for 'surgical jamming' Watch out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Pah..already here...

...otherwise explain why my O2 signal is so shite in my house! I'm being targeted I tell you.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Sounds relatively practical, as far as DARPA ideas go

The idea is that all of the "nodes" by knowing their location, and *exact* time, can form a giant phased-array antenna, capable of electronically directing itself at the target. The issues here will be time synchronization, targeting, and actually getting this thing to be practical... perhaps just another program to run in the software-defined-radio's they are already talking about?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"hold you within a bubble of jamming no matter how you moved about"

>"the system would be able to lock onto your cellphone and hold you within a bubble of jamming no matter how you moved about"

Switch off phone ... move out of range ...... switch back on again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

hmmmm....

remote cooking the target eh.!

i bet that this idea will result in any digital device in the target area basicaly being deep fried and crashing, forget about jamming the signal strength will be enough to mess up anything and will be easy to detect with basic electronics.

result will be the target will go walkabout and get darpa tech to knock out some gov' sensitive site or stand outside the local police station.(that'l upset the boys in blue who wont be able to watch tv whilst sat behind the desk doing paperwork(reading the sport)..

see under shooting self in foot.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC re O2

"my O2 signal is so shite in my house! I'm being targeted I tell you"

I'll take your O2 and raise you 3 :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sooo...

Does anyone else think they missed a trick with the acronym?

Pew. Pew pew.

7. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Coat

Wrong acronym

By the time this gets approved, I doubt that I will be the first to point out that the correct acronym is obviously PEW, as in "Pew pew pew!"

Firing lasers . . .

8. David Austin

title

The more I Hear of DAPRA, the less far fetched Metal Gear Solid sounds....

9. Brian Miller

Turn off cell phone, use semaphores

So if the target simply turns off their cell phone and uses semaphores, all of this gadgetry is useless. (Or maybe they would just shout...) Does this work against banging on a jungle drum?

Anyways, what it looks like is that they are using omnidirectional beacons. The synchronization is necessary because they synchronize the beacons' signals phases to create a large signal at the target's physical location. The beacons add a certain level of background noise, but "generally" it won't interfere with "friendly" communication.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

What it's really about

It's a cleverly disguised way of getting taxpayer-funded hardware to do the job of blocking annoying television and radio commercials.

11. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Already sorted..

Give the girl a grant:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/

Any more problems you need solving? I'm happy to work for DARPA level fees..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like