back to article Baby-roasting BBQ pulled from Sears site

In a blunder that might top the Baby Shaker app on Apple's App Store, retailing giant Sears.com has been caught offering a Bar-B-Que grill specially designed to roast infants and other human morsels. The ad, which was spotted earlier by celebrity news site TMZ, showed a Kenmore natural-gas grill with five burners. A caption …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sly
    Badgers

saw this one yesterday

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4348/sears.png

I wonder what other pages were ... umm... edited.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to do with hacking

Nothing to do with 'hacking' the site but rather playing with the URL to change the displayed catagory.

See http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/9cefy/before_i_show_friends_things_im_considering/

or for another example:

http://imgur.com/kmt6w.jpg

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey

So is it or is it not good for baby roasting? Some people need to know before barbecue season ends!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Hansel & Gretel

OK, so the breadcrumbs are crummy, populated from the URL...... but the product description is apparently not tampered with, so it really does have a 'rear burner'

5. Alan J. Wylie

Anybody remember NTK's Widdecombe of the week?

URL manipulation of this sort has been around for ages - NTK was doing it back in 2001

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Vulnerabilites....

About 2 years ago I notified Sears/K-Mart about vulnerabilites in there systems that gave attackers access to computers processing credit cards.

Seems something has happened again,

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

RE: Vulnerabilites....

Yes, using URL parameters to create links that make sites say funny things gives everyone access to credit card processing data. How astute of you to notice.

8. Pete "oranges" B.
    FAIL

RE: RE: Vulnerabilites.... (sic)

It was never said that the failures were related on a technical level, except that one occurred on the same corp's system and they were both the product of human carelessness.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Haa funny - but not majorly so.

If it had of been "Gimped" and had pictures of roasting babies and legs and all - then it would have been funny.....

As is.... it merely titilates.

10. unitron
    Coat

Mr. Swift, is that you?

"Hey #

By Anonymous Coward Posted Friday 21st August 2009 20:36 GMT

So is it or is it not good for baby roasting? Some people need to know before barbecue season ends!"

Mine's the one with a modest proposal in the pocket.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Tools yo

Am I alone in thinking that's the funniest bit in any of these?

12. Greg J Preece

Maybe he meant "barbies"?

What? He could have.

13. Eddy Ito
    Happy

Wonderful!

I've been looking for just the thing for those baby back ribs. I'd wager this is just perfect.

14. jake Silver badge

@AC 20:36

"Some people need to know before barbecue season ends!"

BBQ season ENDS? What planet do you live on? Oh, wait, you'e probably a Brit. Yes, it's hard to get coals to light 9 months out of the year in England ... but that's not BBQ, that's just grilling. BBQ has an enclosed firebox, and can be lit in pretty much any weather condition.

Before anyone says it, yes there is a BIG difference between BBQing and grilling. Both are tasty, when done right.

15. shock_wave
    Paris Hilton

Shame...

Rather than accept that they had a problem with the website, fix it and issue a public statement that it has been fixed what do they do. State that they have been hacked and threaten reddit.com to take down the post showing the method.

And what could have been a quiet episode that almost nobody knew about is making news and threatening to show up on CNN. Way to completely mishandle it sears!

/Paris because she could teach sears about service

16. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

I love babies...

...however, I couldn't eat a whole one at the moment. Too full after finishing off the chihuahua spit-roast. (see link)

WARNING! Not for the squeamish. Or sober. Or dog-lovers. (Happy ending, however...)

http://www.pawnation.com/2009/07/14/chihuahua-survives-3-days-with-bbq-fork-in-brain/

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

So which goes best with it?

Beer or Red wine?

18. not.known@this.address
    Unhappy

@Andus McCoatover

Hold on, that chihuahua has a fork in its /head/ - I thought someone had speared the end of the ugly little munter's tail when I saw the link's title!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fooood!

If its a choice between Soylent Green or Fresh Grilled Babies, I know what I'm having. The population explosion bears all sorts of new "fruits"

The demand is the supply and the supply is the demand...mmmm fresh meat.

20. Mike Clark
    FAIL

More than URL manipulation

It was a bit more than URL manipulation, in that the poisoned page was then caught in a front-end cache and served to other visitors. LOL!

21. Tom Haczewski
    FAIL

@shock_wave

Indeed - another classic example of the Streisand Effect. Will they never learn!?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Andus McCoatover

THAT is just gross! Of course it IS a chihuahua - so there is little in the head that could possibly get hurt.

(OK I really don't like to see animals hurt - but chihuahuas drive me nuts.)

23. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@jake

>> there is a BIG difference between BBQing and grilling

Even more so if you come from the UK....

24. skeptical i
    Welcome

@ shock_wave/ Shame... : no such thing as bad publicity

I'm guessing that any increase in traffic, for whatever reason, is welcome at Sears HQ if there is a corresponding uptick in sales.

25. tony trolle
    Go

barbecue season ends

funny this maybe though I only had about 10 days of rain in 2008; barbecue season ends Oct 1st.

Oct 1st Halloween to Nov 1st is Halloween season.

Nov 1st to fourth Thursday in November is Thanksgiving season.

Fourth Thursday in Nov to Dec 25 is xmas season.

26. Seán

@callmeshane

"If it had of been "Gimped" and had pictures of roasting babies and legs and all - then it would have been funny....."

Please learn some english.

27. Martin 75
    Stop

@ Jake

This think you describe of as "BBQ'ing" with an enclosed fire box is some ridiculous easy-convenience version of making food out doors. I'm guessing your BBQ has to be left at home when you go travelling as it's gas supply is rather too heavy to take on holiday?

Men cook on Open fires - and improvise. Enclosed boxes are for the ladies.

28. hugo tyson
    Thumb Down

@jake

I have seen lots of US people claim to own the definition of the word "BBQ". Nontheless in the UK, usage of BBQ means "grilling over an outdoor fire". If you don't like that usage (in a language not your own), please stay whereever you are?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Seán

Give the guy a break! he deserves extra cudos for 'Gimpping' and not 'Shopping'

http://www.gimp.org/

30. Hollerith 1

@ Martin 75

Actually, these big boxes with all the gadgets are definitely aimed at the male market. Women would either cook inside on stove, where everything is to hand and things are easier to clean, or go out.

I don't use them because I think gas-flavoured food is kind of the same inside or out. Open flame, and that has to be olive wood, mesquite, hickory, or good ole spittin' pine.

31. Ben Rosenthal
    Pint

what goes best?

babycham?

>.<

yeah, I even made myself cringe :D

32. jake Silver badge
    Heart

Grilling vs BBQing ...

Grilling is high, direct heat. As in over petrolium soaked "charcol" (why would anyone want their food tasting of petrolium? Thanks, Mr. Ford.). Or better, over coals started in a chimney using paper. Or better, over coals that started life as well-seasoned hardwood logs (PINE? Hollerith, have you no sense of taste at all?). In a pinch, a propane powered out-door grill will work, or the gas grill attached to your indoor stove. The 22,000 BTU salamander in my kitchen does a good job when I want this kind of heat. Overfired grilling is often called "broiling" here in the States, differentiating it from the underfired grilling. Contrary to popular belief, gas powered grilling DOES allow the caramalization provided by the Maillard reaction.

--BQ is indirect heat, sometimes called "low & slow". Heat and smoke is generated in a separate fire-box, then passed thru' the food box. These can range from stove-top smokers to the size of a large shipping container, easily capable of cooking several sides of beef. Temperatures usually range around 250-275 degrees F. Cuts of meat with a lot of connective tissue benefit from this kind of cooking. I currently have a whole pig shoulder cooking. I put it into the BBQ about 12 hours ago; it'll come out in a couple hours. You can get a similar effect with a gas grill by heating up the grill, turning off all the burners but one (use an oven thermometer to find the right setting!), and putting the meat as far from the lit burner as possible. For smoke, add soaked hardwood chunks to the lit side, or soaked chips wrapped in perforated foil. I use a combination of White Oak and green Manzanita, YMMV.

33. HassleTheHoff
    Badgers

Not just a funny breadcrumb

Not only was this URL-supplied data cached for subsequent visitors but the next day after the breadcrumb fiasco was shown, I found an injection hole in Sears' Craftsman.com website. I was able to place images (and with the img tag, scripts) into the breadcrumb which could have been used to hijack user accounts. (Not that I know anyone with a Craftsman.com account but I suspect they exist.)

Typical unsanitized user data being shown on screen but with the idiocy magnified a thousandfold due to the caching of that data for the next user.

http://imgur.com/mPjZZ.png

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like