back to article Indictment scuttled alleged credit-card hacker’s plea

Alleged hacker Albert "Segvec" Gonzalez was close to signing off on a comprehensive plea agreement that would have settled all pending charges when he was indicted on new counts Monday, according to a published report that cited his lawyer. Gonzalez, who was already awaiting trial on charges he stole data for hundreds of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David 45

Locked up for ever!

Lock him up and throw away the key.

2. TeeCee Gold badge

I agree.

Bloody stupid of the prosecutors concerned. They should have waited until he'd sorted his plea bargain, was happily ensconced for his twenty year stretch and then indicted him for the other offences not covered by the deal.

They could have had him banged up 'til hell froze over.

3. Peter Simpson 1
    Grenade

I think they smelled a rat

...when one of the conditions he asked for in the bargain was "dropping all ongoing investigations".

The only thing Albert's sorry about is that he got caught. Lock him up, he's a calculating professional criminal.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

They are focusing on the wrong criminals

Experian, TRW and the other major credit bureau (can't remember its name) all have my credit details without my permission. That means they stole them or aquired them from unauthorized sources. If we prosecuted the corporations that trade in this data we could end the whole identity theft game. These under the table thieves like this guy are the least of the problem, its the ones masquerading as legitimate businesses that need to be jailed.

5. Scott 1

@ Anonymous

(At least here in the United States:) When you sign up for any services such as electric, banking, telephone, loans, property rental, etc. there is almost always a clause in the contract that your payment information or other financial details will be shared with credit reporting agencies. By signing the contract for these services, you are agreeing to allow your information to be released to the "big three" credit reporting agencies. Therefore, they have your information with your permission.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like