back to article Nokia innovation award sees little innovation

Nokia's Calling All Innovators competition is listing finalists again, but while last time saw dancing games and Fair Trade guides, this year we've got sniper-safe routing and home automation. This time around the competition saw 1700 entries, which have been whittled down to 12 finalists looking for a share of the additional …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Game is lost

The way I see it Nokia has already lost this battle and is slowly losing the war. In terms of excitement and market forces, iPhone and Android are the main contenders. They are market leaders (in terms of handsets turned over) only because of their cheaper ranges (<£40 pay as you go phones) not due to innovation or anything like that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Correction

"They are market leaders (in terms of handsets turned over) only because of their cheaper ranges (<£40 pay as you go phones) not due to innovation or anything like that."

As 'They' I meant Nokia.

3. @tochi
    Unhappy

Not so fast !

At least Nokia is reaching out to developers, encouraging their efforts and rewarding them for it as opposed to the ever tyrannical Apple which is riding roughshod over its developers - banning apps that should be useful and accepting inane ones.

As for innovation, I dont really understand what the author is on about. What does he expect; iFart, iBeer, Wooo, PooPoo, iKissMe, Passion, apps etc as is prevalent on his fav phone ?

Get off the Apple kool aid man and be more objective for a change.

Nokia's degree of innovation can be seen in the slew of diverse devices its released in the past few months alone. Ok s60/Symbian may not be appropriate for touch screen use but it caters to the needs of those that want a real keyboard. iPhone / virtual keyboard is not for everyone.

In any case, the upcoming open source Maemo OS will be more than a match for the iPhone or Android OS while s60 will be a force to be reckoned with in the mid-range. Nokia should be applauded for embracing the opensource community (Maemo, Symbian foundation) in contrast to Apple who are stuck in an outdated proprietary methodology.

4. @tochi
    Stop

pay as you go phones ?

@Anonymous Coward

"They are market leaders (in terms of handsets turned over) only because of their cheaper ranges (<£40 pay as you go phones) not due to innovation or anything like that."

Nokia majors in <40 pay as you go phones ? What a muppet you are ?

5. sgt101

Innovative widgets

My team built http://btrules.com as a demonstration of what can be done with web 2.0 tech.

6. Bill Fresher
    Thumb Up

Route planning

I'd like to see an application that calculates routes around London where the person avoids being captured on CCTV.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like