back to article Orange prices up LG 3G watchphone for UK

Orange has finally posted a UK price for LG’s watchphone, the GD910. GD910_new_02 LG's GD910: £500 from Orange Despite previously stating that the video call-capable wristwatch could carry a UK price of up to £1000, Orange has now confirmed that the must-have gadget will only cost £500 ($827/€580) when it launches on 27 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Which wrist?

Don't you wear your watch on your left wrist?

2. Matthew Ellen
    Coat

title

Calling Dick Tracy!

3. Leon
    Grenade

Wrist Cancer

One has to wonder if it is healthy to wear a mobile on a body all the time.

4. jmccoy
    Thumb Up

Excellent

That is a cool piece of kit. Certainly the future of mobile phone form factors.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Stop

RE: Wrist Cancer

I'm told the most common way for men to carry a mobile is in their left front pocket, in close proximity to several vital organs and the family jewels. Having the phone in the open on your wrist, that is with at least some bone between it and your innards (and jewels), is probably a better idea.

6. Sandy Ritchie

responce

"Which wrist?"

Only if your right handed, however there is a considerable number of the public whom are left handed... and our numbers are increasing Mwah hahahahah!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Pure bling....

It's bling! A phone is a phone is a phone. Mine cost £30 and it's more than adequate. Get a life people...

8. Craig 12

I wear my watch on my right hand...

...and I'm right handed. People tell me it's wrong, and I don't know why I do (I guess it started as a kid) but it's never hindered me.

If they can fit all that phone into such a small space, why are the current crop of phones so big. I hate them, and contemplating an iphone simply because no one has managed to better the features/size ratio.

9. The Avangelist
    Thumb Up

get it on a darn contract!

I would actually be sad enough to get one if it was on contract.

10. Kungfu
    FAIL

Clock

I notice there doesn't seem to be a clock in the display? Now for me that's a pretty fundamental feature of a wrist watch, amirite?

11. Gordon Ross Silver badge
    Thumb Up

The next logical step...

I'm quite impressed that they've managed to make a 3G cellphone into a watch sized device.

They removed the keypad to achieve this size. But what if they removed the screen as well ? You could, say, wear it like a brooch. To activate it, you'd just touch it, and speak. e.g.

"Call Catherine", or

"Call James", or

"Call Jonathan"

12. Bill Fresher

How big's the charger?

I remember reading somewhere that the battery life is around 3.5 hours.

Excellent.

13. Jamie Kitson

Available Now on eBay

Along with cheap(er) imitations:

http://phones.shop.ebay.co.uk/Mobile-Phones-/3312/i.html?_nkw=GD910&_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

14. Mark Greenwood
    Joke

Battery charging

"I remember reading somewhere that the battery life is around 3.5 hours"

All they need to do is incorporate one of those devices that allow you to charge the battery by shaking your wrist up and down. It would then be ideal for the type of people that would own one...

15. Greg J Preece

@Craig

I'm with you mate. Right handed, watch on my right wrist. I get people telling me I'm "wearing it wrong." It's on my wrist, isn't it? Being right handed, looking at my right wrist for the time seems more natural...

£500 though? It's a fecking phone, and not an amazing one at that! There's nothing that special in its spec, and I'm willing to bet the battery life is crap. And as others have previously pointed out, much cheaper wristphones already exist.

Me, I want one of them Japanese "Finger Whisper" ones that send the audio up your bones, so you just stick your finger in your ear. That is freakin' awesome.

16. Sebastian Brosig
    Thumb Down

supply and demand

> will only stock a “limited” number

presumabily because there's only a limited number of dicks willing to look totally stupid with something like this.

17. Greg D
    Coat

Pip-Boy 3000

I want my Pip Boy already. I'm over 10 years old :(

18. Puck

re: RE: Wrist Cancer

"...the most common way for men to carry a mobile is in their left front pocket, in close proximity to several vital organs..."

Well it was the most common way for me, for several years. Then 2003. Stage 1 teratoma with rupture, left orchidectomy, BEP 2x cycles, 5 years' surveillance, all clear.

I now carry the mobile in my left bum pocket (hopefully they won't have to amputate my arse). Suffice it to say, however, I won't be buying a watchphone.

19. Neur0mancer
    Happy

Hmmm some clarity

As to the left/right conundrum. It is standard practice in PR/marketing firms to publish mirror images of pictures if they look better. Don't ask why, only they will tell you.

As to the phone itself, yeah it's kinda pricey, but coupled with a discrete blue-tooth headset i reckon this could be the future.

20. Alex 28

Or, if you have shallow pockets...

...save yourself 4 ton and get this puppy:

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/quadband-cell-phone-watch-1gb-water-resistant-mobile/

21. stu 4
    Thumb Down

eh ? available for ages on ebay

by various Chinese brands.

some in steel looking a damn site better than that one and at 'only' around 100. though the cheap ones start at 50 quid.

struggle to see whats revolutionary about LG bringing one out 2 years after. For once, the Chinese lead, and the rest of the world imitate.

22. Adam 10

Right-hander, right wrist

Me too.

A French colleague once told me that he finds driving in the UK very difficult "because I'm right-handed, so I can't change gears with my left hand"... Presumably thought we're a nation of left-handers. So I think, like which side your gearstick is on, which wrist you wear your watch on comes down to which wrist you've always used.

Count me in for one, I want to look like a nutter as I walk down the street shouting at the back of my hand. Kinda like when people first started wearing handsfree and you couldn't tell yuppies from nutters for a while.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

re: next logical step

or alternatively:

Pickard to Riker

Janeway to Paris

the "<name> to" phrase used to identify that you want to make a call (vs other functions)...

or use voicedial on your current phone and store everyones details as "<name> to <contact>"

"Computer, arch" to get to settings/app menu (phone or computer)

?????

PROFIT!!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

ooook

how about someone makes a phone where the electronics are that small, and the rest of the "normal" sized phone case is battery?

this + n95 case+ epic battery = bad analogy

also, phones like these with cameras - my first reaction was to think "why would i take a photo of my wrist?" (camera usually on the back see? i know. im sorry.)

25. Steve Evans
    Flame

Ahhh...

Nice to know what Orange have been doing instead of getting the N97 working with their crippled firmware...

I'm sure a watch phone is a worthy investment of their time... Oh hang on a second... It's not the feckin' 80s anymore... There's a credit crunch... We don't have any yuppies who would be stupid enough to want one of these!

26. Monkey

Oh come on Kungfu...

I think the name of the product is a bit of a give away there. 'Watch Phone'...

That has to be a 'given' feature and even the most idiotic would have to ask the question 'so does it have a clock, cause the pictures don't show one?'!!!

27. Henny

Re: The next logical step...

what? a sort of arrow shaped broach, kind of worn on the chest making a kind of toodle-pip noise when you press it to activate?

"Beam me up...."

"Picard to Le-Forge..."

It's the future... I've seen it... ;-)

28. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Gives you all the excuse you'll ever need...

for one-handed typing related activities

29. barrettboy
    Thumb Down

Not for me - sorry LG

I dont think this will become a next generation phone. Teens like phones like iphones or phones like Nokia Aeon ( http://www.domesticutilities.com/aeon.htm ) . But this one is not for me

30. Kungfu

@Oh come on Kungfu...

Sorry, I thought I might be able to leave a comment without enclosing it in patronizing <sarcasam/> tags...I'll know next time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like