back to article HP servers took brunt of Q3 blow

Hewlett-Packard, as much as IBM, is now a bellwether for the IT sector, and its server business didn't do so hot in its fiscal third quarter ended July 31. As we reported Tuesday, HP's overall sales in its fiscal third quarter slid by 2.1 per cent to $27.45bn, and net income was whacked by 19 per cent to $1.64bn. The company' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Where is Tukwila?

"The business critical systems unit, which is where those Itanium servers and some ancient parts for PA-RISC and Alpha systems come from, declined by staggering 30.3 per cent, to $578m. Lesjak blamed "a continued elongation of customer decision cycles" for the declines at the BCS unit."

That customer decision cycle started in 4Q 2008 when Tukwila was supposed to be available. In February of this year we learned Tukwila would be end of year. In May we found out it will be 1Q of 2010. We were now just told that limited availability will be 2Q 2010.

Expect a decline of 50% or more next quarter. We will not buy anymore Itanium products.

To exasperate the delay problems we read with the delay that Tukwila is on track to being twice the performance of todays chip. Quick math of 2X the cores per chip with 2X the performance per chip says we will not see a faster Itanium core until 2012 at the earliest if Poulson ever makes it to market...it still does not have a date.

Jim Morrison

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Can't Be

Wow --- maybe if they layoff more people that will encourage the supposed stampede from sparc to itanium?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

More woes for the employees then

More jobs cuts, wage reductions and an AWOL christmas do this year then. Yay.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

HURD?

The first thing I thought about was the old Gnu Hurd ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd ). Ah, well...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

We need a Sun equivalent to Matt Bryant

To crow smugly about bad HP results.

Actually, the world has enough asshats, let's leave it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

HP is going out of business...

Where are we sending flowers for Matt? I'm sure he's curled up in the fetal position somewhere...

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Where is Tukwila? & We need a Sun equivalent to Matt Bryant

RE: Where is Tukwila?

Have to agree, we have several projects that are on hold for Tukzilla which means they are sales effectively lost this year. I'm sure there are other customers that have got sick of waiting or can't wait and have switched to other platforms such as Power. The real problem for hp will be when Tukzilla arrives - if there is not a sharp spike in sales due to Tukzilla then it will mean hp will have missed the boat for a lot of sales and that will probably mean a host of customers lost for the four or five year lifecycles of those lost sales. The idea of limited availability to start with is not good either, but I haven't heard that from hp. On the up side, with the economy down a lot of projects would have been postponed anyway, so as long as hp can get supplies ready for the up turn then they should be OK. After all, they only have IBM to compete with now in the enterprise high end.

RE: We need a Sun equivalent to Matt Bryant

"To crow smugly about bad HP results....." I know, weren't they terrible? I mean, all those big drops in sales in a downturn. Of course, unlike Sun, hp still managed to make a profit. Now, when was the last time Sun made a profit, and in how many years outside of a downturn ago? Keep trying, Sunshiner.

".....Actually, the world has enough asshats...." Yes, a quick perusal of the Sunshiner posts on these forums do seem to indicate a very high level of asshatness in the Sunshiner community, more than enough to cover the rest of the IT industry!

/SP&L

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who needs Tukwila with Nehalem EX coming?

Eight cores, more memory channels, more QPI connections, Intel machine check architecture, and more performance per core than any Itanium.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Matt Bryant is a Power fan?

Matt,

You have always been very respectful of the Power systems and I have even seen a hint of becoming a fan.

Sounds like Power7 will be out before Tukzila...any thoughts on that? Would love to bring you on board in replacing all that Snoracle gear.

Word on the street is the massive Sun layoffs start Monday....its a shame to see Sun go...but I hope everyone has the kind attitude of "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude.

Cheers....LA Woman

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Helps if they deliver them.....

I am sure that their server section would do better if they actually lived up to their delivery promises instead of leaving people who are relying on servers being delivered hanging naked in the breeze.

They've missed so many delivery dates it's just not funny any more. Fundamentals of business guys....you have to deliver the goods in order to get paid.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ Matt Bryant

Hey Matt, just a few weeks ago, you told us that HP was not desperate about Tukzilla delays.

Well, seems like the numbers proved you were wrong!

BCS sales are declining very sharply and Itanium is loosing partners and marketshare.

Cheers!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP-UX is years behind the game

As far as Unix goes HP-UX is years behind Solaris and AIX.

1.The EFI is fat32 (wonder how much that costs HP in licensing ?)

2.Volume management is slow and long winded when compared to Linux, no

need to mess around with mknod and creating directories for the device

special file to live in

3.You have to pay extra to mirror the root disk...yes thats right

mirroring root is an add on product !!

4.The default file system is Vxfs (good file system but not HP's...and

nothing on zfs)

5.Kernel changes mean that you have to recompile the kernel rather

than make changes to pools or the system file.

6. vpars are not as flexible as zones as they need to be bound to a cpu

The list goes on

Maybe it would be an idea if HP scrapped the Itanium servers and

pushed Solaris x86 / Linux on their blade servers...that at lease is something that HP can do well.

13. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Who Would Have Thunk IT?

With the top brass playing politics instead of concentrating on business, what would you expect?

Until HP gets back to playing "Who's the better IT?" game, then we can only expect more of the same.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like