back to article Australian media group rejects Amazon's Kindle

Antipodean publisher Fairfax Media has decided against putting its newspapers onto Amazon's cash cow, claiming the proposed deal was too biased in the book selling giant's favour. The report comes courtesy of the Sydney Morning Herald, who should know as the paper is one of half a dozen Australian titles owned by Fairfax. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Joke

Undercut the Kindle?

People like good deals and cheap products.

Maybe Apple could sell a blank book and a pencil then you just fill in your own story, that would really undercut the price!

Go on, someone say Apple fanbois would buy *anything* with an Apple logo on it.

2. Daniel 4

Re: Undercut the Kindle?

I'm not saying that Apple is going to undercut the Kindle - the mere idea is a joke. Likewise, I'm not saying that I'd buy whatever iThing Apple may come out with later this year - it's pretty unlikely that I will. But I can sure as hell tell you that after the 1984 incident earlier this year, I'm not buying a Kindle.

-d

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

30% is the magic number (..yes it is, its the magic number)

Amazon 30% cut on kindle... Apple 30% cut on iphone apps.. .

Is it me or this a little steep for providing the distribution mechanism?

4. Faceless Man

Really?

They think Amazon are trying to screw them, so they're waiting to see what Apple do? Are they thinking they're going to get screwed anyway, so they might as well get screwed by professionals?

I mean, I'm an Apple fan, but at a rough guess, they aren't going to be a better deal than Amazon.

5. Youngone Silver badge
    FAIL

Corporate Greed and Stupidity

Who ever does what ever deal, I'm prepared to bet pounds to puha that it'll wind up too expensive for the average punter, and completely fail. This gives another chance for the newspaper d*ckheads to moan about how their business model is failing and how they don't know what to do. They're almost as bad as the entertainment cartel d*ckheads at knowing absolutely nothing about their customers.

6. Steve Roper

Good

Given Amazon's track record with deleting books from the Kindle I won't be buying one even if it is released here, and I've made sure my friends and family will be avoiding them too. The Sony one might get some consideration since they don't reserve for themselves the right to delete things once you've purchased them!

7. Brad 10

Amazon know Australia exists?

Does this have any chance of bringing an Amazon.com.au with a local distribution centre to the great south? Or did it?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Fairfax Media

These are the same newspaper men who routinely give away their products FREE at corner stands, cafes and inside large city buildings. FREE. Cover price is about $1.30

Why pay for news in 2009?

The print media is doomed, just like the brontosaurus - slow to react and dead.

9. Long Fei
    FAIL

Typical

So I guess they somehow think that no profit is better than a small profit.

I doubt the Apple tablet, should it emerge, will focus on the same kind of market as the Kindle, which is already set up and ready to go. And of course, even if it does offer the facility, what's wrong with doing both?

This is why newspapers are dying.

10. Mark 65

WTF

Like Apple has a history of giving the rights owner a larger cut?

11. domainer
    Flame

Kindle

Guess what Amazon wanted to burn? It ain't firewood.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like