back to article CDs, chocolate, and cigarettes dumped in favour of phones

The latest survey of how da youth uses mobile phones, due to be released soon, shows that European youngsters will get their first phone around the age of 8, and will sink $28,000 into the device during their lifetime. Today's young people are spending eight times more on telephony than music. Up to 20 per cent of their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris

Is he serious?

"operators need to deliver the shared social experience that goes with TV as well as the service itself"

I can't help but laugh at that and think to myself, "what an idiot". The television-watching experience is a shared social experience because it is something a group of people can do together. The reason they can all watch a shared television is because of the size of the television. I'm sorry, but you're not going to get 4 or 5 people watching "television" on a 1.6 inch mobile phone screen (not even on a 4 or 5 inch screen). To think that you will is utterly ridiculous. The only way you can have a "shared social experience" using mobile television is for everyone to be watching on their own mobile phone at the same time. And though I'm sure the operators, distributors, and content producers would love that, I just don't see it happening.

2. Marvin the Martian

Shared experience

"operators need to deliver the shared social experience that goes with TV as well as the service itself"

Sharing implies equality, which in the TV comes also from simultaneity. This equality is lost if you're staring around one person's mobile, or when you're looking at a youtube click your mate mailed a link to. The TV programme is shared, even when sitting in different houses; next morning all talk about the same shows seen at the same time -- there's no `leader', `discoverer', `giver'.

How this experience is to be replicated is not discussed? You'll find people hate being on the receiving end, trailing the others.

3. jazz

Tax

Do you think Gordan Brown will put a tax on mobile telephony usage?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like