back to article Apple delays Leopard for your own good

Apple Computer has delayed the highly anticipated release of Leopard - aka Mac OS X 10.5 - by four months so it can devote developers and QA resources to its other labor of love, the iPhone. That slates the unleashing of Leopard for October instead of early June at Apple's developers conference. The announcement confirms …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Je...

...sus

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Magical", my a**e

Much as I love my Mac, I couldn't help but wonder, was there a bit of Disneyworld, a bit of Michael Jackson, in that press release? I could almost hear that whiney voice narrating...

What's so "magical" about a $1,000 piece of 2.5g landfill, anyway? Surely, the fact that anyone plans to buy it?

3. amanfromMars

New Content is the Key to the Future...... Create IT.

Let IT Be..... Imagine.

The iPhone Communicator with Media Elevators to Privileged Access levels.

I think that would be Worth any Weight/Wait for ITs Added Bonus Programming...... the Director's Cut.

Are you cruisin' that Level, Steve, looking for a Connection across and into Systems?

4. Steven Hewittt

Huh?

"However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device"

2.5G, crap camera and no 3rd party app support?

Yeah, real sophisticated Steve! (See Nokia N95 for reference!)

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

He didn't finish

It is indeed the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile . . . for Apple, that is !

6. Joel

Better behaviour than Microsoft....

Well, the real difference between Apple and Microsoft, is at least Apple can release their operating systems to schedule....

Oh.

7. Chad H.

Err,

Will someone please explain to Steven Hewitt the differences between Hardware and Software?

The camera is Hardware, and its lack of 3g support is also probably due to the lack of hardware in the device to communicate on it.

The Software is quite advanced, if the hype about it being realy OS X is to be believed.

As for the N95. The entire N-series is lousy, as anyone in Handset tech support knows. They're as stable as a house built with a foundation of custard. They dont switch between 2g and 3g very well, and you cant force some of them onto one or the other (unlike almost every other 3g phone out there). Nokia's got some great ideas, but the follow through is severely lacking.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Translation

Bringing out a new "Magical" product raises our profile in the public eye. Doing something beneficial for our existing, loyal(?) userbase, well they can go hang... until we arrayed as Technomancers to the Gods. Again.

Then you may pick at the crumbs dropped from Apple's celestial table, you lucky people.

Think I may turn my cube upside down and vomit into it.

9. Paul Johnston

The real issue

Isn't the important thing that Apple consider the iPhone to be more important than the next operating system for the Mac.

What next about the OS is to be sacrificed for the piece of equipment they think is the next big thing ?

10. Paul Silver

Better if they were improving Leopard

I hope the real reason for the delay is that they'll add some more stuff in to Leopard to make the upgrade from 10.4 worth doing.

11. Paul Findsen

heh

"Well, the real difference between Apple and Microsoft, is at least Apple can release their operating systems to schedule....

Oh."

Well, at least they're releasing something else, instead of just delaying and delaying while trying to figure out how to make it work, then releasing a beta. ;-)

12. HyperCog

A good sign?

I'm hoping that this is a clue that Apple is preparing new Mac's for this Fall featuring Intel's new nano-technology, high-speed, low-wattage super-CPUs now in production.

I'm certain that Apple must produce such machines, it's just a matter of when they want to announce that the current Intel chips are obsolete.

13. Kevin Hall

Nokia the new Microsoft?

It's funny that Apple evangelists (apologists?) will back up any product Apple produce no matter how deficient. Chad H basically substitudes Nokia for Microsoft as the criticisms are identical. And even when Apple drops the ball the only defences people are putting up are "at least we're not Microsoft." I mean if that's the best you can do then don't bother. Although the iPod might be a brand leader, it's technologically so-so and suffers from poor quality construction and materials. I don't even think that's an article of faith, just ask any iPod owner about battery life and scratches. Given this history, Apple might sell this overpriced toy to the faithful, but there's better companies selling better phones already.

14. Dazzer Anderson

oops

Apple delay operating system ? Surely not.

Next you're be telling me that MAC's do crash and that IPOD's aren't the best MP3 players.

Perhaps hell will freeze over too. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like