back to article Cisco website down

The main Cisco website is down while it is "being updated." Attempts to access www.cisco.com around 3pm were met with this error message: "An error occurred while processing your request. Reference #97.320dd58.1249393806.999942" This is a strange tack to take for the world's largest networking products company: to shut its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Where do you get your figures from?

"Good - but how much did the outage cost in lost e-business through the site? El Reg thinks the number is likely be in the million dollar plus area."

If I wanted to buy something from Cisco directly and I went to the site espescially for that and found the site was down, I'd just go back later.

More worrying, I work for a global telco and just mis-typed ww.cisco.com into my IE 6 (FFS) and got hijacked by Bing! Same result for ww.theregister.co.uk.

Must open a ticket and tell the IT bods they have a problem (mysteriously typing ww.google.com takes me straight to google, go figure!)

2. markom

Human Error...

According to Cisco, the cause for the outage was poer failure caused by human error. They posted the details here: http://blogs.cisco.com/news/comments/final_update_ciscocom_outage/

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Outtage Timeline

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/graph?site=www.cisco.com

Yea think worlds largest network providers webpage down = megafail

4. sam 38
    FAIL

I agree.

Cisco schmisco.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

re:markom

human error I take it also must account for you linking to a post which is 2 YEARS old (give or take 5 days dependant on time zone).

6. Robin Szemeti
    Boffin

@wtf where do you get the figures from

quote: (mysteriously typing ww.google.com takes me straight to google, go figure!)

not exacly difficult to figure. google have put cname records in their DNS for w.google.com and ww.google.com pointing to www.google.com ... interestingly they havent done wwww.google.com but still

7. Mike Shepherd

Yawn

Obviously a slow news day.

8. Greem
    FAIL

@markom

That blog post is two years old, from their last major outage.

In this instance, the network the website is hosted on disappeared from the global BGP routing table for 90 minutes or so.

9. Doug 1

RE: Human Error...

Um, not quite. That blog "update" is 2 years old.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

You're not really being hijacked, IE sends all failed host lookups to the default search engine. If you'd set that to Google then to google you'd be sent.

Google themselves have put in extra DNS entries for those people incapable of typing so they'll go to google, not give up and try somewhere else.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@markom

You're two years too late with that one!

12. Chris Hills

@markom

That post is from 2 years ago. If they could see into the future, then why did they not prevent the problem from occurring in the first place? :-)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Ha ha ha

Hahaha they need Neverfail for IIS.

14. Z80
    Boffin

@ 14:55 AC

For .com addresses you can just type in, for example, "cisco" then hit Ctrl + Enter

I assume this works in IE6 (FFS indeed)

15. Ally G
    WTF?

@markom

your human error? http://blogs.cisco.com/news/comments/final_update_ciscocom_outage/ is dated, August 09, 2007

You fail? or Cisco Blog date fail?

Fail non the less....

16. Kotonoha
    FAIL

Lol'd hard at the last line

Only when Cisco start selling their own HTTP server will a website error be detrimental to their business.

When routing hardware goes wrong, you don't get a fancy error page.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Server Problem --- Not Network

If you got to the server to get that message the network was working fine. Cisco is a network company. They are not a systems provider.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

BGP issues

... looking at yesterdays BGP traffic one can notice that netblock containing IP aaddress of www.cisco.com was withdrawn 12:55CET. After that routers did not know how to deliver traffic ... netblock was announced to the routers again 2h10minutes later. Very interesting way to do website updates :)

19. Jock in a Frock
    Go

Typical!!!

I rarely use Cisco.com, but just yesterday I needed an IOS for a customer's 4000 switch. Tried from my laptop via the customer's WiFi and via my own 3G card, but got the error message.

I asked the customer if I could use one of their PCs and it connected straight away. Made me look like a proper charlie!

After all that, the IOS is deprecated and I couldn't download it from Cisco. Had to get the customer to TFTP the IOS to my laptop from his alternate switch.

I did chuckle when I read on here that it was a genuine website outage, and not just my rogue laptop.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like