back to article Southampton Uni getting Nehalem supercomputer

Southampton Uni is getting an IBM Nehalem-based supercomputer. It's a iDataplex-based system, the first one in the UK public sector, built by UK firm OCF. The university says its 8,000 cores will enable it to run at around 74 trillion calculations (74 teraflops) a second, placing the system amongst the top 100 supercomputers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Your alien overlord - fear me

But what's it Crysis frame-rate like

that' the important question

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Nice, but...

"its 8,000 cores will enable it to run at around 74 trillion calculations (74 teraflops) a second"

Will it be powerful enough to run Windows Vista?

3. Greg Moseley
    Thumb Up

Nice...

But can it run Quake?

4. Jacqui

Followup news

Next thing you will hear will be cost overruns and the need to get rid of a decent number the teaching staff. Even if this beastie is being paid for out of central funds, the cost of operating it (just leccy) is going to make quite a dent in uni funds...

5. David Hicks
    Thumb Up

Ah, my old scuttling grounds...

It'll make a change from the flood0damaged SP2 they used to have in the basement.

I would have loved to have played with something like this when I was there.

6. Rob Davis
    Welcome

Community Computing?

Perhaps they could set up some kind of social enterprise to rent out some spare computing time for the local population, as part of a local Digital Britain initiative.

E.g.

- for local film makers and animators to do rendering and effects quicker than their desktop

- real-time analysis of local data mining to produce some useful mashup applications - any ideas?

- local chess and other game competitions versus the computer

The university and its students could always do more to work with the local community for mutual benefit.

Who knows how this could enhance the local digital media/technology economy?

7. chrisg
    WTF?

waste...

what a waste putting it in Scumhampton!!!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Community Computing?

Ha, you are kidding right? By the time this goes live I would predict that the queue of people wanting to use it from within the University will already be too long, without going round the local community asking if any crackpot wants to play on their nice new HPC system...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

"74 trillion calculations (74 teraflops) a second"

Should boot Windows XP in less than five minutes then?

10. E 2

A title

Why not use Ubuntu?

11. Nick Sargeant

Beats the ICL 1907 they used to have ..

.. when I was there, programming it in Algol and POP-2 ..

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

p0wned in no time at all

this system will be 0wned in little time purely to run rainbow crack tables and MD5 collisions

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I was a lad...

... a long time ago, I went on a Southampton Uni open day. Their computing section showed off their latest computer which could be programmed by moving tiny ferrite beads around on a board. I guess things have moved on a bit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like