back to article WD unfurls 1TB Scorpio

Leapfrogging Seagate again, Western Digital has announced the world's first 1TB 2.5-inch drive, a 3-platter Scorpio Blue. The company says it has the industry's highest areal density for such drives, 333GB/platter. Two drives are available with these platters: a 750GB one, available now from certain distributors and resellers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darius

PS3

Shame it's too big for the PS3. It does fit my laptop though so I may purchase one.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Down

3 years

Only a three year warranty, on a state-of-the-art hard disk? Sounds like a rushed product I won't be entrusting my data to.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooooo, will this fit in....

.... my AppleTV?

5. MrWeeble

750GB drive using 333GB/platter

requires it to have 2¼ platters. Unless by comprehension of how hard-drives work is completely borked (perfectly possible - I am not a hardware whizz), fractional platters seems unlikely to me.

Could it perhaps be a 2-platter 666GB drive or using three platters of 250GB each?

6. Gangsta
    Happy

Future PS3 HardDrive

I'm looking forward to a 1TB drive on my PS3,... when they develop a larger platter.

7. Paolo Marini
    Thumb Down

Surely it would have been devilish to make a 666GB one...

ehm, are they using buggy Pentium 66MHz for the calculations? how is that using 3 platters with that density gives a 1GB drive, but using only two of them magically gives 750GB (instead of 666GB) ?!

8. Chippy-Minton
    Stop

Marketing

It's market segmentation guys. The two drives will have exactly the same platters if it is a 750gb model and not a 666gb model - but the firmware will lock out some of the space (look at the price difference!). If they've done their job properly, it'll lock out the inner, slower tacks and the smaller disc will perform better overall.

It was possible on some older disks to actually unlock extra space with a bit of trick firmware.

9. {¯`·.¸_LÅMߤ¥_¸.·´¯}
    Stop

@Chippy-Minton

Unlikely. They will 'waterfall' platters. Those that make the grade in terms of available sectors will be in the 1TB, those that don't will probably be used in the 750GB.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Kibi verses Kilo

Perhaps

333GB @ 1024 (2^10)

750GB @ 1000 (10^3)

Whoever let marketing people near science needs shooting...

11. Alan 6

@Rik Hemsley

Read the article again, but this time read it all the way down, then you'll find your answer...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Mmmmm .... tempting

Being 12.5mm deep it sure as hell won't go in my laptop. However, it *might* just go into one of my external enclosures ....

*goes off to look for his vernier calipers*

13. Mark 188
    FAIL

YES!!! oh wait

12.5mm so they wont fit in anything id like to use them in. samsung fit 3 platters in a 9.5mm drive why cant WD?

14. Mage Silver badge
    Unhappy

I knew my laptop was good

A Dell Inspiron 8200 might take a 12.5mm drive, but MIDE, not SATA :(

Perhaps 750Gbyte is apprx 2.5 platters.

i.e. 5 heads rather than 6?

This topic is closed for new posts.