back to article Germanic types in yodeling copyright tussle

What's exactly in a yodel that brings a rosy hue to the milkmaid's cheek and spins the goatherd's lederhosen in knots? In the world of Alpine folk music, it's no mere idle question to echo off the walls. The falsetto refrain "Holla-rä-di-ri, di-ri, di-ri" to one of the German language's most famous yodeling songs was at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 129
    Pint

Well I'm glad we cleared that one up...

...now where's my stein of ale?! :D

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

OMG

Gotta watch the video....laugh out loud. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaha de le

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Watch it

@norman bottomly - watch it, those Germanic types will kick your *ss for insulting their yodeling. Then it'll take another 40 countries to put them down (a-la Monty Python) "a second, er... third time". The yodeling does sound better when you're drunk, though. Maybe that's why it's survived so long.

4. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I like it

The IT angle must be the copyright thing, and the video is strangely soothing after beer.

That is all.

5. Louis 3
    Flame

seriously?

Ach Quatch!

6. karakalWitchOfTheWest
    Grenade

ähm yes...

That must be German. We Austrian don't have anything to do with it... Go along... nothing to see here...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Copyright - the gift that keeps on giving.

So 60 years ago someone had an idea for a song and ever since then they (and their heirs) have been getting paid for it.

Its just as well his idea wasn't for a cure for cancer or something just as trivial. If it had been his patent would have run out decades ago.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

National embarassment set to music

My girlfriend's (German) response to this was just "hmmm, south Germans/Austrians..." Thank god we don't televise morris dancing.

9. Death Boffin
    Alien

Mars Attacks

That is all.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

German TV

There's a German TV channel more or less devoted to playing this stuff. I thought they were having a laugh when I first saw it, but they're serious.

This is why many foreigners coming to live in Germany suddenly develop an interest in receiving TV from their homeland (or just somewhere not DE, A or CH).

11. Jay Castle
    Badgers

What a relief.....

This outrageous situation has been playing on my mind for months. It's a weight off my mind to know that it's finally sorted.

Really.

12. Chris Bradshaw
    Pint

WTF???

'...more exciting to listen to Oktoberfest bands' - Who goes to Oktoberfest to listen to the music (let alone get excited by it...).

OT: perfect icon (perfekt ikon??) for this...

13. Jesthar
    Thumb Up

Is it too early to nominate...

...for 'Tagline of the Year' - because that one is wunderbar! :D

14. SlabMan

Fail-el-ail-he-ho

I'll get my codel-oat-hee-hoat.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

One just wonders

If yodeling sounds good with an echo?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously

Who can take music where the lyrics go "Little old lady who" at all seriously?

17. Jan 7

Hei-di-hei-do-haha...

....hei-di-hei-do-.haAAAAARRRRRRR *guitar riff*

Acccept - Fast as a shark.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like