back to article iPod fingered in car inferno

Swedish Saab operatives are eyeing with suspicion an iPod Nano which may have been responsible for the fiery destruction of an unoccupied Saab, the Hallandsposten reports. The 9-3 station wagon was "parked and its engine was cold when it suddenly caught fire", the paper explains. The owner just had time to rescue the family …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul 25

Whatever the cause...

... surely that should not cause an "inferno"? Is car upholstery not fire proof?

You can't buy a sofa that will catch fire that easily, so why do Saabs appear to be highly flammable?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Surely anything could?

Surely the internals of a digital watch, if they were given the right circumstances and the right sort of kindling, could start a fire? I don't own an Ipod I think they awful, but why does it have to be the ipod, why not the phone?

3. MacRat

Parked and Cold?

And the family dog was in the car?

How long was the poor dog there?

Did it start eating the electronics?

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

May I be the 1st...

...what's this station wagon beast you speak off?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Critical Mass

obviously a critical mass of iPods.. two and a camera and a phone??

surely a single device could do all these things?

hmm maybe not cant play different songs for each ear.. back to the drawing board...

burny burny

6. richard 69
    Jobs Halo

"two iPods, a camera, and a mobile phone"

couldn't he afford an iphone then?

at least the dog was ok....

7. Manas Straw
    Coat

Had always heard ...

the Apple fanbois say that the iPod is hot!

But I had no idea it was this hot.

Don't need my coat. 'Tis warm enough in India - and raining.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zuable

As a former provider of motorist roadside assistance one less Saab in the world is a bloody good thing.

Oh, how ironic that a Saab get taken out by someone elses dodgy electronics when dodgy Saab mechanicals have ruined so many drivers days (and wallets).

Now if it was a dodgy Zune would this story rate a mention at the post GFC Reg? Bite the hand that feeds, as if!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RoTM

should this stroy have the RoTM tag?

10. Richard 102
    Flame

Sounds odd

"The owner just had time to rescue the family mutt from the inferno before the flames consumed his vehicle."

The engine was cold, it wasn't running ... but the dog was in the car? Odd. Unless they were preparing to go somewhere.

Also, the mention of heat damage on the interior of the iPod is no surprise. The car was on fire!

Flame on.

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Flame

Related news.

Anyone know if there were any iPods in that Lamborghini Gallardo that went on fire rather spectacularly last friday in Peterborough?

You can get quite a lot of Saabs for the price of one of those....

12. Lottie
    Joke

Well

I guess they ARE the hottest accessory to have after all.

13. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Coat

rescued the mutt...

Dogs die in hot cars.

That is all.

14. Thommy M.
    Paris Hilton

Over reacting

I think it's more like the owner was so excited about the fact that he soon can call his Saab a Koenigsegg that made it burst into flames...

Paris as she's hot too...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Easy

The mutt had a go at marking the iPods as his own. Are there any reports on the look of the mutt's posterier-inferior attachment (a.k.a. dangly bits)?

16. J 3
    Coat

@May I be the 1st...

"...what's this station wagon beast you speak off?"

At least in the USA, I believe those are called "crossover SUVs" nowadays, young one.

17. shaunm
    Boffin

what this again....

The ipod would be the first thing I investigated, I mean come on its not the first time one of apples many and fine produts has exploded causing damage now is it.

18. Blubster
    Coat

Could've

been a hot-dog the caused the fire...

19. Eric Hood

Station Wagon

A station wagon has front and rear seating like a sedan, then the roof continues to cover a cargo area behind the passenger seating.

20. Giles Jones Gold badge

Left in the sun?

Was the iPod left in a car in bright sunlight? modern rechargeable batteries are dangerous when left in a hot car.

21. Player_16

Maybe the dog felt inferior.

The dog says to himself: "Humph... My master leaves me in this car... he's talkin' to this noisy thing all the time ... he's lookin' thru this thing all the time instead of me ... he's fidilin' with these 2 things and have these white things stickin' out his ear holes 'n' bobbin' his head...

"What if I...?"

22. Antony Evans 1
    Happy

@AC 11:54

...what's this station wagon beast you speak off?

It is what I belive you Europeans call and Estate. We still have them here in Australia. It is definitely not a cross over SUV thingy.

23. Dr Patrick J R Harkin
    Flame

OK, I'll start the playlist...

Firestarter - Prodigy

Fire - Crazy World of Arnold Brown

Don't You Wish Your iPod Was Hot Like Me - Pussy Cat Bad Puns

24. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

@Eric Hood

I think that the OP was being sarcastic, as it's an "Estate Car"* over this side of the pond.

Unfortunately for you, given the topic, a "Hood" is a "Bonnet".

*Unless you're Rover, in which case it's a "Tourer". They deserved everything they got for this.

25. James Prior

@ TeeCee

Not just Rover, BMW and Renault refer to estates, or station wagons, as "Sports Tourers".

26. Damien Thorn
    Paris Hilton

Tunes on the ipod

I didnt start the fire

Felling hot hot hot

burning down the house

on fire

ring of fire

hot like fire

light my fire.

I think the fire was caused by storing non apple DRM songs on the ipod, this causes the ipod to self destruct.

Paris, because shes had the odd buring ring of fire.

27. DI_Wyman
    Megaphone

Saab?

Surely the ONLY good Saab is the Gripen?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like