back to article 'No more CCTV', cries top CCTV cop

The man in charge of the Met's CCTV unit has criticised the way police use surveillance and called for no more cameras to be installed. Detective Chief Inspector Mike Neville said footage from cameras was often not used because forces do not have systems or staff to retrieve images. He added that serious crime that could be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim 70

Shetland CCTV

We don't have public CCTV here, we've huge fat poles (the lower case "P is deliberate) to mount them on, but no cameras yet.

2. Dennis O'Neill

Obviously...

...all those sheep can be really nasty when they're riled.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to mention

people try to defend themselves from the CCTV intrusion.

Some have taken axle grinders to them, glue guns are quite effective, and handheld catapults.

CCTV has made for more crime, it is a humanitarian crime in itself, and when people try to defend their rights it is another crime.

All of it is badly thought out, we should as a society be looking to bring the police force to zero and it doesn't help by making circular crime.

4. GeorgeTuk
    Stop

More cameras than the SF Police Dept.

Maybe but has anyone considered that it is actually possible that the San Francisco Police Department don't own/control the CCTV cameras.

It might be, just a little pie in the sky thinking here, that the police departments job there is purely policing and not all and sundry tasks for whoever.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tags

Any chance of Slashdot style tags? As I have the urge to tag this story 'suddenoutbreakofcommonsense'.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Nice bait and switch

The authorities are not planning on installing more cameras anyway.

This publicity stunt was to make the public feel good that they're going to stop installing more cctv cameras and start training more people to watch the cameras instead, when this is exactly what they were planning to do all along.

Of course they have enough cameras now. But by saying "we wont install any more" they can fool people into feeling good about the small army of people that will now be drafted in to watch you on the cameras that they do have.

Install all the cameras you like I say, I think there should be a limit on the number of people who can be employed to watch the cameras. Lets say, one per million people.

Let that one person search through a million live feeds with no help from anyone else.

what? that's not a very effective way to spy on the public you say?

well of course not it's not supposed to be.

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

Integration is the trick...

Link the CCTVs to track RDIFs which are embedded in the ID card and Bob's your Uncle.

How do I know he is?

See above..

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i don't mind all the cctv cameras

purely because there are so many. There's no way in hell anyone can actually effectively monitor them all in real time, if there were less of them i'd be far more concerned about the invasion of my privacy.

i'm not too bothered about somebody possibly getting hold of footage, after they've identified where i've been, identified any cameras that might have seen me, and then negotiated with all of the disparate owners to get hold of the tapes, as they already know what the tape will show or they wouldn;t be requesting it! Is it any wonder they are next to useless in solving crimes.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Make all the CCTV camera feeds publically available YouTube style

Then if there's a crime at my house I can review the footage for myself.

Better still, I can write some software that looks for people approaching my house which can then text me, or turn on the outside lights, or play the sound of a dog barking or turn on some inside lights to make it look like I'm at home.

Endless possibilities.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.. but we will note what you wriet about us..

funny thing is they have trouble id'ng Met Officers in CCTV .... but no trouble getting an id on the "public"... bi-focal maybe ...

PS Pudding Sarge?

11. Bassey

Not quite the gist

If you listen to the whole interview he isn't saying we have enough camera's or that we should never increase. He's just saying we have too many camera's for the resources available at the moment. We should stop for a while and plough that money into people, training, systems and procedures so that we can start making the most of the CCTV cameras we have today.

He didn't actually say it but it was implied that he would then be happy for the crappy, poor quality cameras to be replaced and for new, high-quality cameras to go up.

To suggest he was in some way anti-cameras or believed there were enough does not represent what I heard when I listened to the whole interview yesterday evening. He was quite clearly pro-cameras and believed there was an assumption amongst the public that, when crime takes place, someone will be watching on a CCTV camera and the perpetrators will subsequently be caught. He clearly believes the public backs ubiquitous CCTV.

12. NellyD
    Stop

Wot Jim 70 said...

...and when the cameras do come, nobody will be able to make out Jack because they're wobbling so much from the wind bouncing them all over the shop. Money well spent.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I think about cameras

I'd tell you what I really think about cameras but there's one watching me just now.

14. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Flame

READ THE STORY!!!

He ISN'T saying we should cut the cameras. He's saying they can't be used to their full capability of minutely examining all of our lives at the moment, because the police need more staff.

So he's calling for MORE STAFF. He WANTS to cover the country with cameras, but he wants them all to be 100% effective. So, if anything, he's even worse than the people who just call for more rollout.

Once we get to his ideal state - 50% of people being employed watching the other 50%, you can bet he'll be crying out for more cameras somewhere.....

15. Jon G

Effectiveness of cameras

The bloody obvious point is that CCTV only works when people are identifiable on it. The awkward truth that is that the simple techniques of wearing a hood, baseball cap / balaclava or a veil over the face is all you need do to avoid it.

16. MGJ

The Enevitable Result

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You are?

by THEODORE GEISSEL

(Dr. Suess) 1973

Oh, the jobs people work at!

Out west, near Hawtch-Hawtch,

there’s a Hawtch-Hawtcher Bee-Watcher.

His job is to watch…

is to keep both his eyes on the lazy town bee.

A bee that is watched will work harder, you see.

Well…he watched and he watched.

But, in spite of his watch,

that bee didn’t work any harder. Not mawtch.

So then somebody said,

“Our old bee-watching man

just isn’t bee-watching as hard as he can.

He ought to be watched by another Hawtch-Hawtcher.

The thing that we need

is a Bee-Watcher-Watcher.”

WELL…

The Bee-Watcher Watcher watched the Bee-Watcher.

He didn’t watch well. So another Hawtch-Hawtcher

had to come in as a Watch-Watcher-Watcher.

And today all the Hawtchers who live in Hawtch-Hawtch

are watching on Watch-Watcher-Watchering-Watch,

Watch-Watching the Watcher who’s watching that bee.

You’re not a Hawtch-Hawtcher. You’re lucky you see.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ What I think about cameras

".. .. I'd tell you what I really think about cameras but there's one watching me just now."

we already know what u think .. saying it will only confirm our suspicions.

we ask 10 years m'Lord as he's clearly being thinking about us .. and he stared at us as futher proof of ( complete here).

Puddin Sarge

18. Julian Bond
    Go

Public Webcams

Yes, indeedy. Let's have a law that all CCTVs *must* be made available as publicly accessible internet webcams. And not just the publicly owned ones but private ones as well.

And I bet there's one or few unintended consequences, not all pleasant, in that idea.

19. simon_b
    Pint

On the lighter side - remembering old times

I was quite surprised at Mick's enthusiasm for CCTV. He was a mate of minefor a few years when we were both teenagers and if we had had significant amounts of surveillance back then things might have been a whole lot different. Then again you can be sure when he's opining on naughtiness he knows what he's talking about .

20. Anonymous Coward
    Go

More CCTV please!

I would like another million cameras to go up over time. If I get mugged it would be nice to find out that there are plenty of cameras around that caught the incident with a good chance of catching the person in question (thugs don't tend to wear balaclavas all day long, and hoodies won't be so useful if there are plenty of cameras at lower angles).

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CCTV in clubs and bars

So presumably they'll stop demanding CCTV as a condition for not objecting to bar licenses.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

The fifth Column

It sounds as though this guy managed to get so high yet missed his search?="Common Purpose" seminars, training programmes and initiation. How did that happen?

23. Doug Bostrom

Too late, it's an industry now

If the cops think they're in control of whether they're going to have more CCTV, they're fools. The industry they've created achieved critical political mass and slipped the traces long ago.

Be careful what you wish for...

24. mafro
    IT Angle

Rafa

Is it me or does that 'Big Brother' icon look like Rafa Benitez?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Re: Integration is the trick...

@winkypop:

Reminds me of this old spoof: http://www.mobilegazette.com/uk-gsm-0604x01.htm

26. Martin Nicholls

Cart, Horse.

I watched this interview last night, what the cop was actually suggesting is we ensure we're linking them together, using facial/numberplate recognition etc to get maximum value from the ones we have.

He wasn't suggesting we should never build CCTV again - well, it didn't sound like that was the case anyway. Just saying - don't jump up and down with glee too much.

27. BlackMage
    Flame

@AC - More CCTV Please!

Speaking as someone who has been mugged at knife point in an area liberally covered by CCTV in broad daylight by people not wearing anything to disguise their identity, I say tear all the cameras down and get coppers doing a proper job of patrolling. All that footage and no prosecution was brought, not even a suspect was identified, CCTV doesn't fucking work - the image quality is piss poor...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like