back to article NZ nude mum snap auction a hoax

The man behind NZ tat bazaar Trade Me's first "photos of a mother in underwear" auction has revealed the whole thing was a college project, designed to "get people chattering". Auckland design student Michael Chal, 22, posed as a disgruntled son who'd punted mum in her smalls to get revenge for being ordered to clean out the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MnM
    Badgers

another rule of advertising

is don't get caught. I'd say he's sullied his brand, and that is a big, fat FAIL.

Dumb and Dumber had something to say about low prospects and upbeat attitudes:

Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Mary: Not good.

Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance!

2. Rod MacLean
    WTF?

College project

So despite all the lengths he went to and despite the fact that we've all seen the snaps taken for the project, he's still going to fail? What was the course?

If it was anything to do with advertising then he's done well.

Applied mathematics and he's not done so well...

3. Sim
    WTF?

pointless

thats not advertising its just pointless and futile lying.

4. yossarianuk
    Thumb Up

This sort of thing should be encouraged

Any excuse to see students in their underwear in good to me !

5. Richard 120

@Sim

Um, yes, that's advertising.

6. windywoo
    Joke

So I was bidding on a fake?

And she wasn't even his real mum. That halfs the price straight away.

7. LuMan
    Thumb Up

Pass him anyway!

I reckon the lad done well. If his plan was to get people chatting then he's succeeded. In fact, he got people on the other side of the world (i.e. us in the UK) posting comments on an online newspaper (of sorts <heehee>).

'Sides, it's nowhere near as bad as a lot of the other lies and scams being peddled in cyberspace.

Now, if only we could see some REAL photos of his mum......

8. Dr. Mouse
    FAIL

I like it

It's a fairly good stunt IMHO, and if it had been applied to advertising something, I reckon the campaign would be a hit.

HOWEVER: if you are going to lie in an advert, you need to not get caught. He got caught. FAIL

9. Armus Squelprom

Be careful what you wish for, LuMan

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020822/ed3.jpg

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advertising / marketing

the main goal is to produce something memorable, however you need to then ensure people link the memorable with at least not bad stuff, ideally good stuff.

Look at teh esure adverts. Suere I remember them, but I think Michael Winner is such a tosser that I refuse to contemplate esure and affiliates when I look for insurance.

So the impact of this campaign is an overwhelming sense of dishonesty and piss taking - not sure this is what I would want my brands to be associated with

11. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

That tenth of a percent?

It may have been Media Design School course leader Kate Humphries' minor concern that the student had pictures of _her_ to punt.

Paris, because we've all got pictures of her.

12. Herby

Lying in advertizing?

Why I'm shocked!

But wait, there's more. See store for details, your mileage may vary, manufacturers suggested retail price, void where prohibited!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re:he got caught

Did he get caught, or did he own up? There's a huge difference there. If he hadn't owned up he couldn't have claimed credit.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@LuMan

"Now, if only we could see some REAL photos of his mum......"

I think you meant his friend Jennifer, the fake mom. Right?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/front-page-top-stories/news/article.cfm?c_id=698&objectid=10585329&pnum=0

15. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Runs in the family then...

So he uses Trade Me to train in the fine art of deception (that'll be the normal use for these sites, surely?) AND his mum is a former MP... "Could it be a family thing?", I wondered. Then I read the bootnote, and I didn't wonder anymore. This kid'll go places. Prime Minister, even, with a bit of luck. His first-born will be President of the USA in a few years I reckon.

16. LuMan
    Pint

@Armus Squelprom & AC 00:11GMT

Dammit! I was hoping for at least passable MILF.

Looks like the Aussies gone scuppered us again.

Still, waste not want not. On with the beer goggles, lads...

17. Matt 13
    Thumb Up

dun good

he sold 2 pics for $350 each... not bad...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like