back to article US grants $47m for power grid smarts

US energy officials are handing out $47m of the county's economic stimulus package to speed up work on several "smart grid" technology test sites. The money comes out of a $3.9bn pool of grants aimed at modernizing the electrical grid. Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced today that the money will go towards eight smart grid …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David 45

Hacking

Very nice - but I have a mental picture of all the bad guys gleefully rubbing their hands together. Yet another system to hack in to, lads!. I dread to think what havoc could be created, as there are bound to be vulnerabilities. If this is implemented, it is going to have to be well locked down - and how! Using "smart" systems on a vital public service such as this has got to be looked in to very carefully.

2. mmiied

"superconducting power lines"??

wow do they know somthing we do not?

3. Simon 6
    Grenade

Secure?

"Modernizing our electrical grid to make it stronger, smarter, more efficient and more secure"

What's the betting the "Secure" will end up costing $46 million of the money as they spread more hysteria about the big bad terro's coming to blow it up...

4. Tom 13

@Simon 6

No need to blow it up, just fertilize the trees growing under the power lines. A couple years back one of those trees took out the power grid for about 1/4 of the country.

Still, not sure what the point is since they don't want to let us drill for oil, mine uranium, or build pipelines to supply natural gas. If you can't produce the energy in the first place, the grid is pretty useless.

This topic is closed for new posts.