back to article Belkin expunges expensive wireless HDMI gadget

Belkin has canned its long-awaited, much-delayed wireless HDMI kit, FlyWire. FlyWire demoed at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in January 2008. More than 18 months on and inspired by an early decision to double the product's proposed price, Belkin late last week said: "We will no longer be introducing FlyWire to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And Flywire's puspose was...

what? It's motel room. Cables to the hotels own TV are fine.

2. itbod
    Badgers

I'm not suprised....

For that amount of money a plasterer could easily chase the wires into the wall. Eliminating the need for wireless.

If it was say 200USD the story would be different.

3. Hoops
    Unhappy

What a shame

I have been watching with interest at this product for a while now as it would have made my life a lot easier when I did my multi room AV setup. Instead this seems to leave only the Gefen solution which makes those Belkin prices seem cheap when you start looking at the HDMI matrix switch on top (the solution I used)

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5990

Gefen: professional equipment at professional prices!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ Previous comments

Maybe if you think hard enough you can figure out why Belkin decided not to take this product to market ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

TinFoil 4TW !!!

awsome...

more piece and almost quiet for now....

gives me more time to order a 5Ghz and 800Mhz jammy device to piss off the neighbours...no more wify tv or crappy argus dect phone...

now just need to tinfoil sheild the internal electrical cables of the car....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

not to mention...

...you never know if the device will work from one day to the next.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also the fact Asus

Are launching theres for around $300 retail

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Shame..

...I'm about the one guy in the world who could really have used one of those, even at twice the price. I build motion simulators, and one in particular which spins around its vertical axis - right now we're limited to about 180 degrees of yaw due to running video / etc on an umbilical. Network, USB, and audio can all be handled easily enough with slip rings or wireless, but HD video is a nightmare.

I imagine, however, that even a $3k pricepoint wouldn't help Belkin recover their costs given the dozen units a year we shift... :)

Still, I retain hope that one of these vaporware things will eventually come good, despite there being, what, five or six announced for years now with no sign of follow-through?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@hoops

Guess I should have read the posts more thoroughly... We use Gefen extenders for a bunch of our stuff now with reasonable success, actually, but I hadn't checked for a wireless video extender recently. The one noticeable absent spec is latency - any more than about 20ms and it's a non-starter for video gaming, and even that's pushing it. Even worse when a motion system is involved. But if they've got good latency, I'm probably going to have one in the mail by wednesday!

See, I knew that reading El Reg was useful for work.

10. Doug Bostrom

Too many lawyers?

I've not bothered to follow the teevee nipple upsize/augmentation project and all the associated DRM slipstreaming opportunistically behind very closely, but I have to think this thing must have been an intellectual property nightmare.

This topic is closed for new posts.