back to article Lexus unveils hybrid

Lexus has launched its first dedicated hybrid. Called the HS250h, it is the first model in the Lexus line-up that will be available exclusively as a hybrid. Think of it as the Toyota Prius' posh big brother. In US spec, the HS250h is powered by a 2.4l four-cylinder petrol engine that pumps out 147bhp but it also has an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. fred slack 1
    FAIL

Whoopee

How can they charge so much for something that does so little?

A large rubber band would do as good.

2. Eddy Ito
    Pint

Like the hybrid Camry

With a different logo and much higher price. A prime example of image trumping common sense. Like paying $10 for a six pack of Buddywizzer because someone slapped a Guiness sticker on it.

3. Smeghead

Cha-ching

Yay. It's a hybridised, tarted-up version of the Scion tC (same platform as the Avensis for the peeps back home, but with a couple less doors) which they reckon allows 'em to ask for roughly double the money.

Ain't progress wonderful?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang on... Lexus has already got a hybrid...

What about that massive SUV they were selling... it was a hybrid too, wasn't it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@SP

Some of the RX SUVs weren't hybrids therefore the article is correct to say "the first model in the Lexus line-up that will be available exclusively as a hybrid".

6. Steve Evans
    Thumb Down

The problem is...

The fuel consumption figures might be impressive for a vehicle of its size, but if you really wanted to be green you'd get yourself something far simpler, smaller and lighter.

7. BOBSta
    FAIL

Hybrid Schmybrid

Want ecomony? Buy a diesel. Hybrid sucks. Where's the hydrogen fuel cell already?

8. phoenix
    FAIL

Hybrids?

Hybrid normally refers to crossing two parent species of lesser ability to create offspring that are greater in characteristics than either of their parents. Hybrid cars are generally the reverse - crap.

Try using public transport or a bike for the 80% of journeys below 5 miles and a clever engine such a VW petrol 1.4 litre supercharged / turbocharged unit that delivers around 130 PS with fuel economy of a diesel. Yes petrol because diesel is a nasty, filthy sub 200 microns (end up deep in the lungs causing serious damage) particulate, producing oil.

9. Chris Reynolds

@phoenix

I used to urge people to use public transport and cycle, but four years ago my first child arrived. Then we moved to Australia.

Where we live, the towns are sprawling, the public transport is practically non-existant and the weather is usually too hot to encourage you out of an air-conditioned box. (For the record, we may move back to Blighty once the economy shows signs of picking up, but that's a tangent).

In places like Australia and (I assume) parts of the USA, families need cars to get stuff done.

I agree that there's far better cars that these hybrids -- the issue of the pollutants in the batteries outweighs their fuel economy for me.

However, you can't tell people to get out of their cars because some societies have been built up around them. Realistically, we'll have fuel cells in Australia before people are prepared to forego their cars.

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

And the upside?

It's more expensive, much more complex, less of a performer, and it's only 30% more efficient? Maybe 26 MPG versus 20 MPG? I'm not seeing the upside. The real efficiency comes from the different engine design. The electric system is so weak that it might not even haul its own weight. When the electric system isn't running, it's just deadweight to use more gas. Luxury hybrids are a marketing gimmick to keep people upgrading their car even though actual solutions are still years away.

11. Gordon Stewart

@Kevin McMurtrie

I agree - well put

12. Christopher Martin

It's LEXUS

Obviously, they're making it because they know it will sell to rich greentards.

13. Sparkypatrick
    Pint

It's all bollocks

It's got a fucking great NiMH battery in it. Until that fact can be changed, electric/hybrid cars are no solution. A load of extra weight to move around and you can't ignore the energy requirements and environmental impact of manufacturing that battery, which gives the car a usable life of around 7 years. My last car (diesel) ran for 14 years and around 150,000 miles until some idiot ran into it and my insurance company insisted on writing it off. My new (04) diesel is quicker and still more frugal than any Prius, and I expect to run it for the next ten years - or until I win the lottery and buy a Porsche!

14. Rob Moss.

2.4l engine

Jesus, a 2.4l engine on a Hybrid? That's bigger than most "normal" cars!

When combined with the Electric motor that would probably pump out the same as a v6!

I get the feeling that these motor companies just don't get it.

A 2-4 seater car that runs on a 1lt diesel engine combined with an electric motor that charges while you brake would be a good idea. Why am I the only one thinking of this?

My car sits in the garage while my bikes get a good pedaling

15. phoenix
    Happy

@ Chris Reynolds

Chris I appreciate what you are saying and wasn't trying to generalise. I understand that there are countries that have been built around personal transport. But we do have issues with the sustainablity of machines that generally only carry only one person and if you are lucky a full load. Even if we repace oil with some form of electrical power that still has to generated, distsributed and stored. Take Lithium for instance, that will have to mined and refined in large quantities (like the lake bed in venezuela). As for hydrogen cells we have the issue of burning power to split water just to recombine it later to generate electricity.

I guess it comes down to how much peole want to keep the planet in good shape and as such how much are they willing to give up in order to achieve the goal of not only climate change but literally being able to support a massive population. Cars are only one issue out of many.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does a hybrid need CVT?

Any ideas?

This topic is closed for new posts.