back to article Firefox update fixes zero-day JavaScript flaw

Mozilla has released an update version of Firefox that addresses a previously unpatched flaw that has become the target of hacking attacks over recent days. Firefox 3.5.1, released on Thursday, resolves a Just-in-Time (JIT) JavaScript compiler flaw in version 3.5 of the popular open source browser software, as explained in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Dunmore
    Go

Did they beat M$ on zero day

.... I'm sure they responded quicker than microsoft have with their recent Zero day.

2. Richard Gadsden 1

Breaks Google Gears

3.5.1 breaks Google Gears (again!) though it appears to be just a compatibility issue, ie Google just need to mark Gears as being compatible with 3.5.1

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

And MS...?

Any indication on how Microsoft are getting on with their fix to the IE issue that surfaced the same time this FF one did?

4. eJ2095

Speakign of which

I am sick of seeing that we are embarrased thingy come up when it can nto restore your tabs

5. GettinSadda
    Thumb Down

But Gears stuffed again!!

Aaaaaaargh!!

Google Gears add-on was only fixed to work with 3.5 on Tuesday, and now this fix breaks Gears again!

I will now refuse to install any updates for Firefox until it has been out for long enough to be sure 'vital' add-ons work with it.

I had "Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons" checked, as I did with the 3 to 3.5 update and again no warning until after it updated (when it is too late to back out!)

6. Pete Spicer
    Alert

This is why I didn't go for FF3.5 already

This is why I didn't go for FF3.5, just as I didn't go for FF3 when it first launched. Remember kids, don't use .0 releases unless you're prepared for updates.

I know not of this Google Gears of which you speak, Earthman...

7. Greg J Preece

@GettinSadda

FFS, just install the Nightly Tester Tools and turn off version checking.

8. Tom 106
    Unhappy

laughing

Mozilla don't deserve any applause for releasing a fix, because in my opinion, the 3.5 browser should not of been released as a stable browser. I firmly believe that the browser was rushed and therefore it was inevitable there was going to be major and minor bugs that required fixing. I'm still not trusting 3.5.1, and therefore, I'll stick with 3.11.

9. Psymon
    Gates Halo

Mozilla updates aren't tested properly

On the last 2 major revision updates to firefox Mozilla managed to screw up my bookmarks.

This occured on both my work, AND home machines.

If this had happened to my users, they'd be screaming blue bloody murder at me down the phone.

Thankfully, I force them to use IE, and can happily report that aside from a rather crappy VB6 programed plugin that one of our beancounters uses (which I've told him to ditch because it really is crap) I've not had any issues when updating - no matter how major the update.

Hell, the ie6 to ie7 update worked like a charm! I'd already got group policies in place to configure it to look as much like the older version as possible - it even imported the autocomplete data (a lot of our lesser mortals rely on that instead of favourites, despite repeated warning that it clears itself after a period of time)

A lot of my users didn't even notice that the update had gone ahead - our intranet had been carefully vetted beforehand for W3C compatability.

It was only when I changed the group policies to allow tabbed browsing that people suddenly said "hey, this is a new version!"

Adobe and Suns update systems on the other hand....

</shudder>

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Argh ...

Still crashes when you try to view BBC iPlayer full screen.

11. Alex 3
    Joke

Google Gears?

Of course it's all Mozilla's fault. Nothing to do with google. In all cases it's the latest piece of software you install that must be to blame. Why can't Mozilla stick with just one version then there wouldn't be any problems, why should the users make sure difficult decisions such as "upgrade". It's just not fair ;).

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@GettinSadda

It is the add-ons' responsibility to ensure they work with Firefox, not the other way round.

My heart bleeds purple urine.

13. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Flame

OSS fanbois

blah blah blah...source code available...blah blah blah...many eyes make light work...blah blah blah...more to lose being a charity type org...blah blah blah...faster than that other browser called XY or something...blah blah blah...Redmond couldn't manage that...blah blah blah...

Anything I forgot?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Psymon

"On the last 2 major revision updates to firefox Mozilla managed to screw up my bookmarks."

It worked fine for me. I can only assume that you are in some way incompetent.

15. Angry clown

@The Fuzzy Wotnot

Yes, you forgot to keep your mouth shut in the first place. Now just go stay in line and wait for the IE update. It might take a whole year but trust me, it will come.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Here we go again

I am sick and tired of these Firefox updates and am seriously considering going back to IE.

17. Steve 150
    Thumb Up

Worked fine

Updated without a hitch here, not only did it not destroy my bookmarks, it even remembered the tabs I had open.

18. Andrew Norton
    Troll

why go back to IE?

Why upgrade back to IE (yes, it's an upgrade these days from friedfox) when you can upgrade from both to opera. The speed and security that Firefox PROMISES, actually delivered. Plus, see some actual new features, rather than features everyone else has had, and just marketed as new.

This obligatory opera comment brought to you by The Fact. The Facts, irritating Firefox Fanboys since 2004.

19. Steve Roper
    FAIL

@ Psymon and Here we go again

Here we go again: "I am sick and tired of keeping my browser up to date so it won't get exploited and am seriously considering using a browser that only updates once a quarter so I can get infected with all the new malware that appears in between, but I won't be bothered with updates." There. Fixed that for you.

Psymon: IE? W3C compatibility? Haha...

Hahahaha...

Hmmmmpphhhh...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHOHOHOHO!!!

I'm sorry. What colour did you say the sky was in your world again?

20. Tom 7

Just update fine

from 3.1 - seamless and faster - and that canvas thing is fun!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

No problems here

Compiled it in a jiffy (it's xulrunner that takes forever, fortunately it wasn't required this time around), running fine. Remembered tabs, bookmarks, etc. Does that crap only happen to Windows users? I feel bad for them sometimes...

22. Richard 12 Silver badge

Well, mine updated quite painlessly.

It not only remembered which tabs I had open, but kept the history.

I didn't need to reboot my computer, I only needed to do something else for a couple of minutes.

23. Jimbo 7

whaaat?

"I am sick and tired of these Firefox updates and am seriously considering going back to IE"

you must be joking

24. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Oh, how the mighty have fallen

You know, there was a time - within living memory - when the Firabadger fanboys would argue their case on the merrits of standards support and security track records.

Now they cling to the olive branch of which browser plugs its gaping security holes first.

if Firefox gets its butplug first, it's prove of how wonderful it is. If IE gets patched first, it's just down to luck because the exploit appeared 'too close' to Patch Tuesday.

My dad's bigger than your dad, and all that...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1.8MB patch?

That's some patch, when the whole program is only 7.7MB

26. nweightman
    WTF?

Annoyed at Firefox

I tried the 3.5.1 and it crashed when i tried to access a password form online, i did a system restore to go back to 3.5. Then the pesky thing installed itself without giving me the option to cancel it and had the same problems as before but as the system had only just rebooted it also caused Rocketdock to have an illegal error too - not sure if there is a connection with that though.

So i had to restore once again and finally switched off all updates - i think that did the trick - I'll keep this copy until they can get it right.

We shouldn't really complain though being the application is free - but then again, we do deserve a good working browser from them if they are intent on taking on Microsoft. I shall hold off until 2.5.5 is perhaps ready lol

27. Geoff Mackenzie

@nweightman

Sounds like nothing much runs stably on your box. What OS are you running? Could be your answer.

Also, it doesn't really take a decent, working browser to beat what Redmond are offering.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like