back to article Garmin Nüvi 1340T

As part of Garmin's recently refreshed in-car satnav range, the Nüvi 1340T will be the one satnav you won't want to leave stuck to your dashboard. With an easily portable slimline design, the Nüvi 1340T features a pedestrian mode that includes the ability to hold your hand on London's underground network. Garmin Nüvi 1340T …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton 1

And you'd pay for speed camera updates why ?

You'd pay 20 quid for speed camera updates why, given it's ten euro's from scdb.info or for free if you link to them ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get the EXIF picture location tag

They should grab the EXIF GPS tag (The tag in a JPG file that identifies where the photo was taken) and let users navigate there.

Now that would be useful!. You could plan a holiday with photos, sort the photo list by how near each one is to your current location, then 'navigate to photo' by clicking on it.

3. Stu
    Terminator

Tough stand.

Garmin should be shot for not designing it with sufficient power to even update the maps fast enough to follow when navigating. I mean that renders it pretty useless in my book. Clearly not in el-reg's book tho!

I'm all for standing firm against idiotic design choices made by some companies, or just downright bone-idleness to even take one look at what TomTom are managing to roll out!

As far as I'm concerned, companies should be ordered to stop producing, and hence stop wasting the worlds resources on selling devices that dont meet general standards you can expect from devices around that time. Call it communism if you will, I call it justice.

Okay that might wipe out pretty much the entirity of Chinas output, and maybe Taiwan, Vietnam, India etc etc etc etc. But just imagine, we'd have supercomputers on our wrists by now!

I bought one of Garmin's eTrek handheld GPS devices waybackyonder, it was good, especially seeing as TomTom and the like hadn't hit the scene, and there were no onboard maps or anything, it was just a waypoint based empty map system. For the time, it was good.

Nowadays though, so many different hi-powered devices, so many different ways for companies to cock things up.

Terminator icon - bring on SkyNet to sort out the big corpos.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue how this works.

Pedestrian mode? London Underground?

Does it support the obverse diagonal rule as well?

Also, I don't think you're allowed pedestrians north of the river on a Tuesday as it's not a leap year.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Top right?

From the screenshot it seems the Next Turn icon appears at top left...

:)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: And you'd pay for speed camera updates why ?

Erm, hang on a sec.... You ask why anyone would pay to get camera updates, but then your suggested alternative is to pay to get camera updates from another site and link then to them!?

7. Scott Mckenzie

Nuvi 1390

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0021L9BJ2?ie=UTF8&tag=spoavetstu-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B0021L9BJ2

Or for £250 get the Nuvi 1390 which has Bluetooth for hands free calling, free traffic updates, is a Garmin so has much better navigation than TomTom, oh and has some customer support should something ever go wrong!

As it stands, the bargains are on the older '2xx' series though.... The 255 and 265 are bargains from Amazon at the moment and offer the same features pretty much but for a lot less!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like