back to article The comic-book guide to SIM hacking

The Citizen Engineer project has released its first publication: a comic book guide to building a SIM reader and then hacking your SIM for fun and profit. Citizen Engineer is intended to encourage everyone to have a go at hacking stuff - in the old sense of the word - and is dedicated to releasing accessible videos and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dave lawless
    Boffin

Saddle up

> Citizen Engineer is intended to encourage everyone to have a go at hacking stuff - in the old sense of the word

Oh, riding round on a horse for fun ?

2. Mike007 Bronze badge

chip n pin?

"Just don't expect to be able to clone a Chip 'n PIN credit card any time soon. "

damn, you mean that's not next weeks issue?

3. ThomH

The content would probably be interesting

I must find myself a ten year old to translate the presentation from a patronising format designed for children to one suitable for people that do something other than use a computer all day.

4. Charles 9
    Boffin

@dave lawless

"in the old sense of the word" meaning that you delve into the secret internals of a device or computer not for any devious aims or financial gains but simply to see what goes on behind the scenes or to learn what makes it tick. "Hacking" in the old sense of the word is strictly for exploration and learning.

5. Enigma9
    Linux

No Crypto

Surprised to read you can clone the SIM. I so need to go an buy a SIM reader.

Two people on the same cloned cell answering the same call at the same time.. Classic

I thought Cloning a phone was cloning the MIN and EPN, I didn't know you just needed a SIM reader, I feel enlightened...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Citizen Engineer

Looks like an interesting idea but I detest the 'spoon-fed', heavily edited style of presentation they use. This is the kind of thing you expect to see on a children's programme where the kids are in control and act like miniature adults. Yeah, go kids! We'll show them pesky adults we can think like them!

Far from encouraging people to think, I think it encourages them to switch off and wait for the presentation to entertain them. I watched the first few minutes and got bored with being patronised with baby talk and distracted by the use of projector light. If someone is curious and wants to hack a SIM, they've already been reading about it and already know all of that basic detail.

7. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    FAIL

@Charles 9

*woooooosh*

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Charles 9

No, I'm pretty sure it's about horses actually.

9. Tim Schomer
    Pirate

"Get the kit..."

... Except the kit has sold out and none expected in for another 2 weeks. On the plus side, if the kit's made by AdaFruit industries it'll at least be of decent quality.

Now why couldn't this sort of thing been around a few years ago......

10. BristolBachelor Gold badge

GSM, cryptography & chip'n'pin

I thought that GSM was European (hence the French name) and thre handsets are made is Eastern Europe, or Eastern Empire, so why does it matter about American export laws? or was Team America, World Police a documentary?

Besides, wasn't the cryptography was chosen to be deliberately weak to help the boys & girls in Cheltenham?

As for cloaning chip'n'pin, I thought a white-hat showed that you didn't need to. You just have a chip in a card that outputs a signal "the pin was correct"? problem is that someone with influence didn't like it so he disappeared?

That said, this sounds like a better deal than a buy it monthly, get one resistor and a line of code a month; takes 10 years and £1000000 of subscription to complete - First issue only 10 pence!

11. Alex 26
    FAIL

bits? data?

7-bits? 8-bits? You mean there's something more complicated than

building forms in .NET all day?

Blimey. If you think that's hard maybe you should poll your esteemed

readers and find out what they do for a living mate...

A/

12. Remy Redert
    Joke

@Charles 9

You sure it's not the even older sense of the word that Dave was talking about, ie, hacking stuff with a sword.

Because that sure sounds like more fun :p

13. Jon999

@Charles 9

Hmm I think horse riding came before computer 'hacking' but hey i might be wrong.

That a side, it is a shame that hacking has now completely been taken over by (illegal) commercial activities some of that real excitement of exploring computers seems to have gone (or am I just getting old?). But then again, back in the early eighties you where the envy of your class if you just managed to write a program to get a cube bounce around on your Vic20 computer screen, at least in my somewhat geeky class.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SIM clonning

There is already a 8-in-one SIM (can store 8 SIM). I managed to clone two of my old SIMs ( bought before 2002) It seems that the newer SIMs (after 2002..) have a 'security' that prevent the 'scanning' of them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like