back to article Jaguar opens up about future e-car plans

At the recent launch of the new and - let’s be honest - gorgeous new Jaguar XJ, Register Hardware won some time to probe the firm about its future e-car projects. 2010jaguarxj_abh000 Jaguar's 2010 XJ: outside... Michael Mohan, Jaguar's Director of Programmes, let slip that the company’s working “on a range of future …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Efros
    Happy

Second Page

Should be labeled NSFW, just sheer PR0N.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New XJ

Big ugly grill, odd back and called a Sedan.

Mmm which market are they going for.....

3. richard 69
    Thumb Down

ellllll

elle looks great but jaguar is finished, still an old mans car. here's an idea, try bringing out a smaller more affordable car in a recession, if aston martin can't shift 'em jaguar has no chance.

i'll give them 1 year, then it's over.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I demand

A register competition to win the model featured in these photos!

(The car that is)

5. Pete James

Rejoice!

For it is here! Fresh, stylish and unbelievably sexy. Three words you could never apply to rivals from Germany or Japan. To recycle the brief line from MG's ads a few years back: Bought a BMW 7-Series recently? Kept the receipt?

However, a small tug backwards on your coat Alun. The main reason why the heritage card was being played so heavily at the launch was down to the leap (tenuous pun, sorry) forwards in the styling and how this is very much hauling Jaguar back to three of the four principles of the company; beautiful styling, opulent luxury, rakish performance and outrageous value for money. At a starting price North of £50k it's easy to see which USP they're ignoring, if only for the moment. But if you consider that the XF and XJ are the first completely new design direction in 34 years then you can understand the determination of the management to not let people think that Billy Lyons has been forgotten.

Right, onto the hybrid stuff with the bleeding obvious to begin with. They certainly won't be first. Let Fisker with his shamelessly plagiarised concepts do the spade work of gaining initial public acceptance. The market won't develop until the major players do some unveiling, and that won't happen unitl they've got the models closer towards customer expectations. But the company should not be afraid of buyers wanting hybrids. Such commercial timidity caused far too much dithering at Whitley until they finally shoved a diesel out the door - which promptly sold very well indeed.

Lastly, and I doubt I will be first with this remark, but is the second picture in your article a McPherson strut?

Dear oh dear........

6. dunncha
    Happy

Love it Love it Love it Love It

I want one in Red.

Going to go to sleep now and dream about picking up chicks in my Shaguar.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Aluminum?

British site, british-brand car, quote from the director of "programmes". Yet, apparently the car is made from some substance called alum-i-num...

8. Big-nosed Pengie
    Paris Hilton

Drool

Where's the drool icon?

That's as close as I can get.

9. Chris Parsons
    Pint

Leccy?

Apart from El Reg, does any human being use the word 'leccy' in normal speech?

Great car. Being a boring old git, and a Jaguar owner, I just love it.

10. Frank Bough
    WTF?

Very Nice but...

some idiot's put the steering wheel on the wrong side. There's a fine line between stupid and clever, as they say.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Author has it wrong...

That is an ugly jag, thus they have already messed up Jag's heritage.

Don't get me wrong, its not an ugly car, its an ugly jag.

-ano

12. Darryl
    Thumb Up

Love the curves, the front end, the back end... Gorgeous

...and the car's pretty nice too.

13. pctechxp

@Chris Parsons

I think 'leccy is a slang term for electricity used in Liverpool and other parts of Merseyside

Back to the car, very nice but I think if they've had to bring in the world's sexiest model then Jag aren't hopeful it would sell on its own merits.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pussy electromagnet?

Is an eJag going to pull those greenie chicks?

15. Jan 7

Quite nice.

Looks rather ok, yes, the interior designers will get over their "blue LED" phase sometime and the grill ist too large. Overall still a quite good looking car. The skimpy blonde thing is a bit superfluous, though.

But with all said and done: I´d still go for a DB7 anytime.

16. Matthew 3

@richard 69

>try bringing out a smaller more affordable car in a recession, if aston martin can't shift 'em jaguar has no chance.

Hmmm, do you not remember the X Type and how vilified Jaguar were for attempting to go for the mass market? Following Porsche's model seems much more sensible: small numbers of cars sold but with a high margin.

I will be buying one of these just as soon as that lottery win comes through...

17. TeeCee Gold badge
    Grenade

@richard 69

Oh the dilemma!

Get the jag and be thought of as old by those with antiquated preconceptions or get the 7 series and be thought of as a complete wanker by absofuckinglutely everybody on the planet.

<checks bank balance>

S'ok. I don't seem to have that dilemma after all.

18. Lottie
    FAIL

Lottie

Don't like the grille. I think it looks too much like a Mustang wannabe.

19. Alex King
    Stop

@AC, 10/7, 20:19 (Aluminum vs Aluminium)

Your aim is off on this one, sir. I'm a staunch defender against the corruption of language with mis-spellings, so I must point out that it was the 'merkins who devised the word 'aluminum' in the first place, which was then corrupted by the limeys to aluminium.

And oh yes, the car's fine but they've just stuck an XF in the replicator and set it to 125%. Meh.

20. Pete James

Alex, you're talking rubbish

We've been down this road before.

The term was coined by Sir Humphrey Davy who had a couple of stabs at naming it, including calling it aluminum for a short while, before aluminium was settled upon. This was used by chemists globally, including the US, and then what is commonly thought of as an American word (which as you can now see wasn't) began to be used predominantly towards the end of the nineteenth century. Why? Lord knows.

So Alex, if anyone's aim is off it yours. Rather like the US military some might say, but I wouldn't be so churlish, oh no.

This topic is closed for new posts.