back to article Google fear? BCS shrinks away from Tories

The British Computing Society has moved to distance itself from the Tory Party's review of NHS IT. Last August the Conservative Party said it was reviewing the National Programme for IT with the help of Glyn Hayes from the BCS. This led to several reports (here, here and here) suggesting the BCS was behind the review. But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BCS

The real reason the BCS are backing away is because it is a fucking idiotic idea, which although approaches the solution from a different direction to the labour (lets abdicate all responsibility to consultants) yet is equally dimwitted and clueless.

2. David Ramsay

Google/Microsoft secure ...

Maybe I will rethink my support for the Conservative party if they think I will accept that they will submit my records to Google or Microsoft care!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many compromises

until they realise that sensitive data cannot be stored on system where there is mass access?

Medical records who needs them? It should be if you need them then you ask for them to be recorded if you don't they get destroyed, how hard is that?

And those who want to keep their records can do so themselves or pay the NHS to do so, I don't see why the rest of us need to pay for these systems or be potentially inconvenienced by them.

We shouldn't be discussing storage, we should be discussing destruction of records.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The BCS

Are a pointless organisation and should be consigned to the dustbin of irrelevance.

Any "society" where membership merely involves writing a cheque for £92 is by definition and design a bunch of pointless shysters whose opinion is worth exactly the same as picking some random people off the street for a vox pop.

5. fred scuttle
    FAIL

@Lee

Hey Lee - your £92 quid only gets you through the front door but does not make you a member (MBCS) - To do that you need to spend a lot of time and money passing the ITIL Foundation, then the Service Support and Service Delivery Manager exams. When you have done this you can add circa around 10k to your salary.................. but then for your £92 you could also subscribe to twat monthly instead......... Try learning about what you talk about beforehand.... otherwise you look like a pointless, opinionated random vox pop shyster from the street if you don't!

6. Alex 32
    Welcome

Ah, you see, yes..

@Lee: Point missed completely.. Nevermind, one less silent BCS member ;o)

As for Google and Microsoft - I think it's better than what is currently being tried (I use tried because it's not tried and tested.. at least parts of the Goog and Micro has been...)

7. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Er...

If the Tories are considering allowing Microsoft to manage our health records it means they are considering having our health records managed by A CONVICTED MONOPOLIST.

I was considering voting for them over their ID card stand. Now I'm having second thoughts.

8. Vanir

To David Cameron

You need to ask yourself what your potential voters will think when they see that your party is considering the proposal of handing those voters' personal data to companies that may store that data outside this nation's physical and virtual boundaries and to which your party has questionable associations.

Your party's proposal seems not to take data security seriously enough to make my support more forthcoming. I do not feel comforted by the idea of Google or Microsoft having my personal data and responsibility for the security of it.

9. Gaius
    FAIL

@Ascylto

Your data is ALREADY in the hands of Accenture and EDS. I'll take Microsoft over them any day.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

PRINCE2 and SSADM

Can someone tell me if this project was used in conjunction with PRINCE2? I'm a firm believer the methodogy needs more components that deal with mapping out the development itself rather than purely it's management aspects!

Do they use PRINCE2 in conjunction with SSADM?

11. Ascylto
    Big Brother

@ Gaius

I have already opted out of the NHS 'Spine' (of course I realise that doesn't mean they don't have my info) ... nonetheless, with a name like yours - beware the Ides of March!

I don't think EDS or Accenture have yet been convicted!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Ascylto

"I don't think EDS or Accenture have yet been convicted"

Hey, but nelson Mandela was convicted, and he was better than any other chap in S.A at the time! Just because they are convicted doesn't mean they are bad. They just slipped up once in a while... (did I really say that in regards to MS?!?)

It's called Rehabilitation of the Convicted

This topic is closed for new posts.