back to article Freecom adds RFID to HDD

Freecom has launched an external HDD that will only grant you access to its data if you’re the bearer of the keycard. Freecom_Hard_Drive_Secure Freecom's Hard Drive Secure: controlled using an RFID card Admission to the Hard Drive Secure is controlled by an RFID card which you swipe once over the HDD to lock it and again …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Original Ash
    FAIL

Do I really need a card?

Or do I just need a screwdriver and a different SATA2USB converter?

I'd answer my question, but there's no link to a product description. In fact, no evidence at all except for a photo.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"none coming with the risk you might lose your access card"...

...yes but the great thing about a card is you don't leave a copy of it on everything shiny that you touch.

3. It'sa Mea... Mario
    Thumb Down

"none coming with the risk you might lose your access card"...

No but they go back to the risk of a really deternimed criminal cutting your hand off, maybe killing you first to make it easier..

And whilst that may sound quite extreme and like something you've only seen/heard of in the movies, UK police are still investigating a murder where bits of the same body have been found in several different counties...

4. Scott Mckenzie

Hmm..

Surely simply having the card on your person would be a better system, similar to immobiliser/tracker systems in more exotic cars...

The first post is valid though, how secure actually is it, could you just hook up the drive to a Lunix/Mac OS and access it freely at root level?

5. Alan 6

@It'sa Mea... Mario

"No but they go back to the risk of a really deternimed criminal cutting your hand off, maybe killing you first to make it easier.."

Most biometric readers include checks to make sure the thumb has a pulse...

6. It'sa Mea... Mario

@Alan 6

That is sensible start, but when will they be able to check that you are conscious? or if you have a gun to your head / knife to your neck?

I think I'd still rather risk losing card than risk a determined crim requiring me or part of me to carry out the crime.

Not that I have any infomation that would be would be worth committing those sorts of crimes over!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just in case: sellotape it to the top (or better) underside of the drive.

So it won't be long until I turn up at a company, and the card sellotaped the the top of the drive for 'safe keeping', in the same way every Car Stereo faceplate ends up in the glovebox.

8. Adam Foxton
    FAIL

So is this

a drive with custom electronics to ensure that, short of removing the platters, the data remains safe? Or is this an RFID reader which, once triggered by the correct RFID card, flicks a few relays or transistor switches to physically connect the USB port on the box to the drive?

'cos if it's the second one then- like someone's said above- it can be defeated by a screwdriver. Which makes it pretty pointless. Nick it and- oh noes!- there's a 5, 10 minute period where you can't get at the data!

Alternatively, I guess it could encrypt the data somehow? RFID card provides the decryption key?

Also, isn't RFID pretty easy to pick up using a PDA or standalone kit?

9. Elmer Phud
    Happy

Can I . . .

Add it to my Oyster card?

This topic is closed for new posts.