back to article Apple moves to patent fingerprint-controlled gadgets

Apple has plans to implement biometric controls into its gadgets, if techniques outlined in its latest patent application are taken to their logical conclusion. The firm’s filing ith the US Patent and Trademark Office, entitled "Control of electronic device by using a person's fingerprints", describes how users could control …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Leighton
    FAIL

Already done!

My laptop can do this already, keep thinking apple!

how about toe control, or blinking at your eyepod ;)

hmm.. quick whats the number for the patent office!!?!??

2. npupp 1
    Flame

*ponders*

wonder if this will be used for such banal things as ... authentication at boot.

great idea, each finger used for specific functions, until the device overheats from use and burns off your fingerprints

3. muttley
    Stop

prior art already

My Dell XPS with fingerprint reader, I log in to my account with finger, have different applications enrolled with different fingers - and when Vista UAC prompts for Admin rights elevation I swipe the finger registered to the Admin profile...

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

All aboard the Apple Patent Train

What are these crazy bastards going to patent next? Building houses using uniformly sized blocks? The gaseous substance we breathe to maintain life? Cats?

I do hope the patents they are applying for are only within the scope of how users interact with their own devices. They can't seriously be thinking anything else, can they?

5. Big Bear
    Joke

That's bad news

Makes my life more difficult - now, when I steal an iPod, I'll have to chop their fingers off as well!!

6. Elsie
    Big Brother

A Spooks wet dreams

So millions of people may routinely carry devices that use biometric devices connected to the internet ... everytime they select a new track to listen to their GPS location could be uploaded?

Why will we ever need identity cards when Apple are helping to keep track of the population?

Bring back cassette tapes!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like