back to article Scientists print out super-slim battery

Power boffins have developed a prototype battery that’s not only lighter and thinner than existing power cells, but is produced using a printing process. Weighing in at less than 1g and measuring less than a millimetre thick, the 1.5V battery is printed using a silk-screen technique, similar to that used for T-shirts. A “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 31
    Welcome

Interesting but not novel

People like Power paper have been doing this for a few years now.

http://www.powerpaper.com

They sell them for all sorts of things including borg-like skin patches, so you too can look like 7 of 9

I for one, welcome our Jerri Ryan etc etc etc

2. Stuart Halliday
    Unhappy

Amperage

We don't want to know voltage, what's their capacity (Amperage)?

Very little I suspect.

3. Rob 30
    Thumb Down

hmm, not rechargable

looks like it might be quite usefull when they make it rechargable, disposable ones seem rather wastefull these days.

4. Martin 71 Silver badge
    Happy

Excellent idea, but I have one reservation

Being zinc-manganese (Basically a leclanché cell), the shelf life would probably be limited, and they don't handle extemes of temperature well. Still, new technology is always good :-)... isn't it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Impressive

"By placing several 1.5V printed batteries in series, higher voltages of 3V, 4.5V and 6V can also be achieved, the boffins claimed"

I would be mightily impressed if that wasn't possible, seeing as it works with every conceivable battery currently... In fact, technically a 'cell' is the 1.5V source and a 'battery' is a collection of cells.

6. EdwardP
    Flame

Fraunhofer Research Institution.

These guys are good. Bloody good.

Remember MP3?

7. JBR
    WTF?

gcse

>By placing several 1.5V printed batteries in series, higher voltages of 3V, 4.5V and 6V can also be achieved, the boffins claimed

Whooohoo- BREAKTHROUGH!!! Can they do 7.5 or even 9V?

8. Stu
    Megaphone

Scale?

Mmmmm I see. My determination of that picture is that the battery is somewhere between 6.5 and 7 MILES long!

Why did they even bother putting a ruler in shot if its got no scale! Thats the point of putting rulers next to things in photos!

In reality it could be 6.5 or 7 inches, or centimetres, or one of those obscure units of scale, who knows!?

9. Robert Hill
    Joke

This is nothing...

This is nothing but a thinly veiled grab for power...or thinly printed perhaps.

10. Graham Marsden
    Joke

They missed an obvious application...

... the Government should require high powered versions to be built into ALL clothing with a remote control available to all Police and they won't have to bother giving cops tasers any more...

11. adnim

@Stu:Scale

I believe its is a cm scale. Inch scales are usually divided into 1/4s, 1/8ths, 1/16s and so on. This scale is divided into 1/0ths.

12. Phil 54
    Pint

@ Stu

I make it about 6.5 siriometers, which make the size more impressive than the battery itself

13. lukewarmdog

tshirt power

I long for the day my tshirt can power my smartphone, this is what happens when hippies and technology converge.

14. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

Smaller than potato battery

A zinc-manganese battery? Really? That's the ancient "Super Heavy Duty" battery that every electronics device recommends against using because of the low current output, low power density, leak risk, and high self-discharge.

Fraunhofer Research says it would be good for bank cards. Do I detect sarcasm there?

15. TheOtherMe
    Joke

El Reg Standard Units

That must surely be in reg std units - thus it is an impressive 6.5-7 Wales

16. Pete 8
    Joke

Is it just me?

...or does the sample pictured look like

A PAIR OF BOLLOCKS

It would be more marketable if they had one terminal in the center of each pad.

( . )( . )

Please can i buy some double-D rechargeable nipple cells?

Paris cos her batteries are flat-packaged

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

looks like a maxipad

The thing looks like a maxipad, maybe they should remarket it as a joypad.

18. No, I will not fix your computer
    FAIL

Yea, more crap we don't need that can't be recycled

Anything that adds to poisonus landfill is good by me, will give something for future archeologists to talk about.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like