back to article Tropics getting extra rainy, NASA boffins say

This summer was a bit of a washout for the UK*, but globally, rainfall levels have stayed roughly the same for the last thirty years. But NASA researchers now say they have good evidence that the tropics are getting wetter, with more rain falling over the oceans, than on land. According to a study, published in the August 1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Liam Johnson

Wetter

So the oceans are getting wetter – impressive.

2. Craig

Sea Levels

Just wait for the next "global warming" scare-story on how the increased rainfall over oceans will raise the sea level even more!!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope they...

I hope they used better data than they did for their analysis of global warming...

4. Nick Galloway

Clouds

How this relate to the level of cloud formation?

More clouds, more shade, therefore global warming being kept in check by mother nature?

In reality if there is more rain in the tropics falling into the sea, what can be done about it?

There might be more snow falling in the Antarctic as well...!

5. Roly Gross

Sea levels....

I think you'll find that the water comes from the sea in the first place :o)

As for 'global warming' being a scare story I think you'll find that the latest evidence shows the IPCC estimates are conservative and they don't cater for some significant 'tipping points'. The news is only going to get worse and scarier (there are some 10 year forecasts that predict that warming will level off but then take off again in 2009).

Comment about data I don't understand at all and mother nature rushing to our rescue would be nice but again the evidence is the opposite - push her too far and she snaps......I'm not going to make the obvious sexist comment

6. Luther Blissett

"IPCC estimates"

Oxymoron. But you're right about one thing - the news is only going to get worse and scarier - because not enough of us are scared enough. Not enough nice horror flicks at the film theater recently?

Got to love your anthropomorphism - I've never heard of Mother Nature snapping when she's pushed too far. Can I have an MP3 of that?

7. Roly Gross

Oxymoron?

Not sure you mean oxymoron, the main problem with making climate predictions is that nobody can predict how the hapless subjects of this in vivo experiment are going to react.....looking at the evidence to date, not very intelligently :o(

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

What a relief !

"The team says climate change is a plausible explanation, but says a longer record is needed before any definitive statements can be made"

Finally someone who can say that we don't have enough data to make a proper conclusion. I've been waiting quite some time to hear something along this line, and someone has finally had the guts and the gall to blurt it out. Kudos to this team !

9. Ian

kudos?

so, someone has written a research report concluding by saying that more research is required. never seen that before.

This topic is closed for new posts.