back to article Windows 7 free upgrade generosity hits limits

Microsoft has clarified the rules on who can upgrade to Windows 7, and how many free copies of the forthcoming operating system you'll be entitled to. The company has also dismissed a suggestion from mega-analyst Gartner that it's limiting the number of PCs that an organization can upgrade to Windows 7 in order to bump …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

In other news

MS appear ready to charge full price for Vista SP3.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe in 7-8 years?

I work for a large multinational company, and one month ago, my Win2000 PC was replaced with a new multi-core machine with Windows XP.

Windows 7?? See title...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Story?

Gosh! Company seling its own product puts limits on how it wishes to sell its own products, shocker! Is this simple MS bashing for the sake of it?

I dislike MS as much as the next penguinista, but come on, leave 'em alone when they've done nothing obviously wrong!

4. Nick Stallman
    WTF?

Cost?

"having to figure out the price of staying on Windows XP"

A lot cheaper than upgrading perhaps?

5. Trevor 3
    Grenade

Title?

I can't see businesses moving from XP to be honest.

Well I can.

But only if other companies make the jump.

How much computing power do you need for office applications and web surfing?

I'm beginning to think the only people who will need to upgrade to 7 are people who need the processing power and memory upgrades, so people who work in graphics/audio or play games will need it, but only because the latest software will be written for 7.

We are at the tipping point people. Where things "just work" with the computing power we have.

Your "normal" office user could, in theory, make do with a netbook attached with a monitor and usb keyboard and mouse, and now that linux supports AD I would say go to linux too.

Anyone with any specific need can get Windows 7.

I'm not looking to upgrade my home machine for at least 5 years as it does what I want it to do. I've only recently had to upgrade it because the graphics card I wanted was PCI-E and the Mobo only had AGP.

6. David Cook
    Alert

Poorly researched

SA is available to any business on a volume license scheme. The minumum entry requirement is an initial purchase of any five MS licenses; the headcount size of the organisation is irrelevant. We have customers that are two person consulatancies on volume licensing.

7. frank ly
    Stop

I'll ask again....

Serious answers only please............

Given that I'm quite content to be running XP-Pro on my 6 year old laptop and 3 year old desktop, with some PSP manipulation of my holiday pictures and occasional iPlayer watching as the most demanding use of them; why would I want to upgrade to Windows 7? Can anyone explain the benefits to me (if any)?

Also, is there any 'cool new thing' I would then be able to do that I might want to get into?

8. mrweekender
    Megaphone

Erm...

...WAKE UP! For fuck sake stop whining and just don't buy Windows 7. Yes Microsoft is out to rip you off, once again - oh no who'd have thought that would happen!?.

Therefore buy a frigging Mac or install Linux instead. Problem sorted.

9. N2

In five years time

Ill still be running Windows XPee in its virtual box

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@frank ly

Well, when the hard drive in your laptop finally fails and you can't purchase a new one to replace it and then reload the OS, which forces you to purchase a new laptop, the new laptop probably won't have XP compatible drivers so you'll have to buy Windows 7 then.

Other than that, no, not really.

Now if like me, you bought a copy of Vista Ultimate 64-bit for your new megapowerful PC because a fast talking IT buddy recommended it as The Bomb for the gaming you were about to step into, then Windows 7 might be a good investment, because the 64-bit version was for shit on games. Of course, I was a bit leery of the advice, so I took the precaution of building out an XP partition before loading Vista so at least I can play some games.

11. frank ly

@AC 14:40 re. @ frank ly

Thank you. As I suspected, but I will listen to any other advice of course.

BTW, my laptop is on it's third hard drive, swapping a 2.5" IDE drive is easy. I just load up a regularly updated system partition image (using my desktop and a 3.5" to 2.5" IDE adapter cable) onto the new hard drive and I'm good to go.

12. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@ Trevor 3: We are at the tipping point people.

I got to the tipping point years ago when XP was released... I simply turned off all the crapware visuals and went back to Classic Mode... so to me XP is just a service pack to Windows 2000...

And after XP it just has to be some Linux distribution when they finally put the plug on XP support... I realised years ago there is no such thing as a free lunch from Microsoft and have declined every offer to climb aboard their Upgrade treadmill.... well it is more of a circus really when you include products live Visual Studio as I simply edit code in Notepad...

I quietly smile to myself every time I see someone proclaim themselves to be a Microsoft Professional because the word oxymoron runs through my head....

13. Shah
    Megaphone

Has anyone noticed the prices of desktops, laptops and netbooks rise recently?

Is it anything to do with Windows 7, the upgrade scheme, or anything related?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like