back to article Firefox's little cousin pops out of den

The mobile version of Firefox, Fennec, has gone into general release with a version available for Windows Mobile 6 devices - though anyone hoping to replace their existing browser might want to hold off for a while. The release is officially versioned "alpha 2" and is designed to gain more feedback on both the browser and, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeonat
    WTF?

24Mb!!

Holy cow - 24Mb to install on Windows Mobile 6.5 smartphone! Storage card for that, then!

2. Annihilator
    WTF?

1 step forward, 2 steps back

I thought the last release was a beta. Now we're into "alpha 2"?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Annihilator

I think you've confused this with Firefox 3.5. This is a separate browser for mobile devices that uses some of the same components as Firefox.

4. Preston Crow
    FAIL

Failed on my phone

I installed it on my T-Mobile Dash (HTC Excaliber, I think). It comes up and just sits there. I'm not sure if it's because the phone doesn't have enough RAM, or if Fennec can't handle a non-touch screen phone.

It's a shame, since Internet Explorer Mobile is useless on most sites.

5. Jonathan 6
    FAIL

Is it just me, but why are they …

… only developing this for the platform with the absolute least amount of promise in the mobile space? Windows Mobile? 6.5? WTF?!?

6. Annihilator

@Chris Wareham

"I think you've confused this with Firefox 3.5. This is a separate browser for mobile devices that uses some of the same components as Firefox."

Fortunately my reading skillz haven't failed me yet :-D I'm definitely thinking of Fennec which went into Beta earlier this year:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/19/fennec_beta/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At the risk...

... of posting a serious comment against usual form whilst maintaining my carefully cultivated aura of cluelessness, whatever happened to Minimo?

Is this Fennec thing a generational step up, or a completely different lineage?

Given the way my eyesight is borking I think interwebs at sub-3.5-inch is a dead end for me anyway. Where's my mobile with the 21" fold out oled???

8. Marvin the Martian
    Pint

@ AC: "Where's my mobile with the 21" fold out oled?"

I left mine in my flying car.

9. Greg J Preece

Gimme!

Been waiting for this for ages! GIMMEH!

Awww, it won't start. :-(

10. Michael 79

@Annihilator

The beta of Fennec ws for Nokia N810 Tablet which runs a different OS from Windows Mobile

The Windows Mobile version is still in its alpha stages

11. Jamie Kitson

Still 10 Megs!

Iris is still by far the best browser for Windows Mobile.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like