back to article Humberside koi carp rustlers trawl Google Earth

Humberside Police reckon a gang of koi carp rustlers are using Google Earth to identify garden ponds from which they subsequently fish their booty. East Hull has in the last three weeks suffered 12 nighttime raids, during which expensive carp and pond equipment have been lifted, according to the Hull Daily Mail. Police …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Deckchair
    FAIL

Slight difference

"As such, Google Earth creates no appreciable increase in security risks, given the wide commercial availability of high-resolution satellite and aerial imagery..."

The would be commercially and therefore traceable. Putting everyone's back garden on teh interwebz is somewhat different.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oaf

"My neighbour later told me she had seen two young men with a bike with a box on it and a big black net." - And this didnt look a tad suspicious?

3. Old Tom
    Gates Horns

Bing!

I always use Bing Bird's Eye to reconnoitre my fish felonies. I call it my Heron's-eye view.

4. Tony Barnes

Stating the obvious

She added: "They are either operating in their local area or have access to a vehicle."

-------------------------------------------

Really? I'm glad you've managed to nail that down so early on in the case, full marks to you.

Is the next deductive leap going to be that they are selling stolen Carp? People are committing the crimes? The fish are likely being held in water? They operate at night so that they aren't seen?

I'd be worried if that was an officer in my community.

5. Adam Salisbury
    Grenade

Corporate Cop-out

That drivvle spouted by Google is utter nonsense, not even land registry and/or library maps and plans will have current garden configurations in them. Nor have I seen a OS Map featruing speed cameras and fish-pond locations!!!!

This is exactly the kind of reason someone should've demonstrated a bit of due diligence before letting a slopy-shouldered mega-corp photograph every inch of the planet.

High-explosives, coz that what I'd use on Google's DCs...

6. Elmer Phud
    Pirate

Sounds fishy to me

"Police Community Support Officer Sam Gregory insisted the evidence points to the dark hand of Google Earth. She said: "Google shows what is in your garden and you can see people's ponds. One of the properties targeted has an eight foot fence and is set back from the road."

And not through local newpapers, fish fanciers, local gossip?

Many Koi keepers share info, what's to say the fish felons haven't used such info?

Most Google images for the UK are not that detailed so you can spot the fishes.

7. Adam 52 Silver badge

No increase in risk?

"Google Earth creates no appreciable increase in security risks, given the wide commercial availability of high-resolution satellite and aerial imagery"

Absolute rubbish. What used to cost hundreds of pounds to those who knew where to ask is now available to the whole world, effectively anonymously and for free. A speculative search would cost even more.

Not saying that's a bad thing mind.

8. Robert E A Harvey
    Big Brother

I am impressed

>Gregory explained that the organised thieves arrived "equipped with nets" ...

> She added: "They are either operating in their local area or have

> access to a vehicle."

You can't slip much past Humberside police, can you?

9. Steve X
    Thumb Down

Google Earth?

Trawling GE for ponds that you can see carp in?!

It seems more likely that they've got hold of a customer list from the local fish food supplier...

10. Annihilator
    Coffee/keyboard

Crying with laughter

"Ponds targeted from space, police believe"

Had visions of the ISS crew casting off from orbit... apparently not though

"They are either operating in their local area or have access to a vehicle"

Uh huh - or have the ability to walk.

Can we please have an icon for "from the no sh1t sherlock dept"

Love it

11. D@v3
    Coat

I knew....

...there was something fishy about Google.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This they bloody care about...

But vandalism to a car and having our phone and TV wires physically ripped out by a passing drunk (possibly one someone in the house had dumped, not me though) and they just ignore us. Maybe how much they care depends on which side of the river you live on.

As for Google Earth, "commercially available" as someone mentioned only if you know it's there and are willing to pay. Now everyone and their brother knows its there and it is free, though it'd be a sad bugger who spent time trawling for ponds which may or may not have valuable contents. I agree it's more likely this was done through local shops, perhaps observing who goes in and out.

13. Pete 2 Silver badge

Have thet actually tried looking?

Right, the acid test. Fire up googlemaps and look at the back garden of a neighbour who has a Koi pond.

FAIL

I can clearly see their garden on the overhead shot. I can see a featureless rectangle that covers the width of their garden, which local knowledge tells me is their pond. However, you'd need an eyeball the size of a planet to determine if this was a pond, a concrete standing, a bare patch of grass or just a blanket laid out for sunbathing.

Yes, you can spot houses that have swimming pools (but not if they have fish in them :-) so I would venture that Plod is up to his/her old tricks of taking a new and poorly understood technology, assuming it's arrival is linked to a spate of crime - whether there's any link or even a commonsense possibility, and then go around spreading FUD and presumably laying off the blame for this crime, rather than doing the obvious and trying to catch the perpetrators.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google Earth - evil - think of the children

Scandalous! Save the world from the evil!

Oh, and ignore the existence of multimap, TerraServer, the MS version (Bing Maps?), or even... shock horror... Google Maps, which has been around even longer! (and as Time Life might say, plus many more)

All Earth does is put it in a globe shaped bit of geometry...

15. David Haworth

@Adam Salibury

to be fair, google don't show current garden configurations either. you'll be lucky if they're only 5 years old! have any of the victims only dug their pond recently I wonder, and is their pond shown on google earth?

dave

16. TrixyB
    Coat

Phising Scam?

Mines the one with an A-Z in the pocket...

17. The Dorset Rambler
    Coffee/keyboard

@TrixyB

So close....so very close.

;)

18. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

PCSO heads investigation into multinational Koi carp smuggling gang...

...or not.

I cannot believe that even a lowly worthless rag like the Hull Daily Mail would actually print this drivel as the main front page story of their tabloid - but they did.

A number of fish thefts occur. A PCSO ponders aloud whether the thieves used Google Earth to plan their dark deeds. He speaks to the local press ( note to Humberside Police - please bring back centralised press releases from the PRO - this might stop your moronic staff from bringing further disgrace to your force). The local press then make a huge story out of the musings of a PCSO and publishes it as fact. Quite incredible, even for such a scumsucking local rag as the Hull Daily Mail.

Are reported crimes investigated by PCSOs in Humberside. Are linked crimes investigated by PCSOs? If so why? There was a time when you may have expected most crimes to be be investigated by a detective - then times changed and low level crimes were investigated by uniformed officers - but surely they must draw the line at allocating crimes to PCSOs for investigation? Are things in the Humberside Police that bad?

@TrixyB

Phishing Scam. A good try, but no prizes this time around.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agreeing with Mr Haworth...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who still has a garage that I thought I'd demolished ages ago and my old car (from 4 cars ago) is still sitting, rather nonchalantly I might add, in my drive way.

In fact, I sometimes look at the old rendition of my house on Google earth quite saddened in the knowledge that somewhere, down there, a little 'me' is still living in abject misery with a vindictive Shrew.

That's usually when I start shouting "Run! While you still can..." at the computer...then they bring me my special tablets.

20. Stephen Gray
    Joke

Shome mishtake shurly?

I use Google Maps to plan all my robberies, ooops did I say that out loud?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Tautology...grrr

They are not koi carp.

Koi is the Japanese word for carp.

Koi are koi - or nishikigoi, as the Japanese prefer to call them ("brocaded carp").

22. vincent himpe
    Joke

Koi in butter sauce ?

Or do you prefer the salt and herbs crusted oven roasted version ?

Those kids must be real hungry..

23. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I think logically

WPC Plod has proved she's a bit of a nitwit

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Better version than I have..

All I can say is if Google Earth can identify which fish ponds contain carp, then they must have a far superior version of Google Earth than the rest of us.

Yes, sure, it could identify which gardens have ponds, but does this mean the devious villains have been into every back garden with a fish pond in it? And if so, what is the difference between Google Earth and climbing a tree equipped with a pair of binoculars? Because it seems to me either way would give you the exact same information.

Garden ponds are not exactly uncommon in England and to go fishing in every one of them just in case it has a particular type of fish they were after seems unlikely. Far more likely is they got their information from another source, perhaps something like a list of all the customers that were sold expensive fish in the area or by checking out the online membership roll of an exotic fish bothering club. That is far more in keeping with the way criminals do their research.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can haz Googlearth/lolcat mashup?

kitteh <3 fisheh

26. Homard
    Big Brother

I don't envy plod ...

It's a hard life. Nicking motorists for frivolous offences such as driving at 33mph whilst paying attention to to the current hazards, etc. Mr/Mrs "30mph exactly" on the other hand with nose glued to the speedo that has just crunched another car is beyond reproach because they were driving carefully ....

We have idiots making changes to the law on a regular basis in this country. Time for the seagull cabinet to really flit the nest !

This article demonstrates that we sometimes have idiots enforcing (well attempting to) the law. Most coppers are OK though, and I don't envy a difficult job - look at the TV footage of the Friday night drunks situation in any town in the UK for an example.

It would be nice to see some good old fashioned detective work on this, instead of blaming technology for providing out-of-date information at too low a resolution.

Besides, who really wants to see 'ull up close ? :-)

27. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Koi carp

A pest species - illegal to keep them or return them alive to the water.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Bob Young

News to me that Humberside Police investigate "low level" crimes, period. This is as someone who has lived in Humberside all my life.

29. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Pete 2

Actually i fired up google maps and went to Hull and right away noticed that Hull is blessed with the highest "zoom" level range of pictures and therefor it was quit easy indentifying ponds, pools, trambolines and garden gnomes. (the last one was a lye)

30. CaptainBlue
    FAIL

Blunderside Plod at their best

They are a truly useless bunch - they recently telephone someone who said they were abroad and took that as gospel. If they'd actually gone to his house they'd have seen him inside (plus isn't the mobile ringtone slightly different if you're abroad?).

Still, we shouldn't keep carping about their incompetence...

31. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Why blame Google?

Wouldn't it be easier to join the local Koi Keeping Club? Or go to the local fish feed/pond equipment store and follow a purchaser home?

This topic is closed for new posts.