back to article Firefox 3.5 gets third release candidate

Mozilla Corporation spun out a third release candidate for Firefox 3.5 yesterday. The latest near-ready version of the open source browser contains minor fixes and tweaks to the new features loaded into Firefox 3.5. The latest RC build is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux in over 70 different languages, said Mozilla …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lupine
    Troll

Smooth

encountered no problems with this release or rc2 (which is more than can be said for rc1). now if only certain add-on writers would catch up...

2. Sureo
    WTF?

release candidate?

The other day my Firefox popped up "upgrade to firefox 3.5", no mention of release candidate ... I installed the update, and now the about says box says "Firefox 3.5"

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090616 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

3. Paul Johnston

Also on OpenSolaris snv_117

paulj@workdellgx260:~$ uname -a

SunOS workdellgx260 5.11 snv_117 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

paulj@workdellgx260:~$ firefox -V

Mozilla Firefox 3.5b4, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 mozilla.org

4. Anonymous Freetard

Fast as...

quite a fast thing

5. D@v3

undecided

I am yet to cast my allegiance in the browser wars, I have been using firefox for *ages* and like it alot, but it seems to be a bit of a resource hog (iv only got a gig of RAM in my work box, and it eats it up)

Ive been using Chrome for the last couple of weeks, and its nice and smooth and all that jazz, but I am still finding it hard to come to terms with the ridiculous amount of advertising that there is to be found on this here internet.

Im thinking i should giver Opera a go, as i seem to hear a lot of good things, especially from my fellow comentards on this here site.

Hopefully / maybe, this new version of the Fox will address some of the memory issues, 80% with a hand full of tabs open cant be right.

6. Steve X
    Thumb Down

But

Have they fixed that sodding URL bar yet?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

I like this

Especially the bit at the end that says "using web standards", gave me a warm glow I don't get reading about IE 8.

Look forward to installing that on all my PC's next month.

8. jhermans
    Welcome

@Sureo

RC3 doesn't mention that they're release candidates (in the about box for instance), because it could be declared the final version when everything tests well. Unless there is a reason to try a fourth version. Just like what happened to RC2.

Look at it another way : if Mozilla would need to remove the "RC3" from the about box, then they would need to release *another* version, which could have issues of its own.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Upgrade

@ Sureo

AFAIK only users of the Beta 4 release were asked to upgrade to the RC... Did you check your about says box before the upgrade says?

10. Jedi Name Germinator
    Pirate

I remeoved it...

... don't like it for the simple reason that there is a icon for adding new tabs in the tab bar; For me I found it visually annoying :/

Did a search and found info about it, but to no avail as to how to remove the icon or at least hide it.

BTW I found no speed improvements from 3.0.11 - Maybe it's just me or I can't differentiate instant from instant...

F*%@ warez pirates!

11. RGeorge
    FAIL

Firefox sucks

I've been running Firefox 3.1/3.5betas since last year. Only since Beta4 (3.5b99) and now with every release candidate since - including the last one - has problem come up: I lose all Internet connectivity in all tabs regularly. Other browsers & internet-connected apps still work, but Firefox has lost it. I have to close Firefox and restart. What a joke!

Also, don't call Firefox fast: it takes at least THIRTY SECONDS on a new, speedy machine running XP to initially start the browser. That's ridiculous!

12. Mark 9
    Go

Try Opera....

Much less of a memory/resource hog than Firefox.

Much more reliable than Firefox

Much more secure than Firefox.

Much more customisable than Firefox.

The only downside is it take a while to get used to some of it's best features, that are sometimes hidden away, like the Greasemonkey (called UserJS in Operaland), and the AdBlock (called Block Content in Operaland).

13. Stuart Elliott
    FAIL

Mouse over popups

Anyone else have the problem that when you mouse over anything with an ALT= comment, the box is empty ?

14. Jimbo 7
    Thumb Up

getting ready for final version...

Can we have an icon with 2 thumbs up, please.

go firefox, go firefox, go firefox

15. Sailfish
    Happy

New Tabs Button

@Jedi Name Germinator, add the following CSS patch to your userChrome.css file (google it to find more about it.):

.tabs-newtab-button { display: none !important; }

That should hide it.

16. Jach
    Happy

3.5 is awesome

It's super fast AND it has a tiny memory footprint. See http://dotnetperls.com/chrome-memory

To people complaining about start up times, is that really an issue at all? How long does it take your OS to boot up? How long does it take to log you in and start all those programs by default?

Only downside I've found so far is that several add-on devs haven't been keeping up.

17. James Duncan 1
    Flame

Lies, damned lies and statistics^H more lies.

"Also, don't call Firefox fast: it takes at least THIRTY SECONDS on a new, speedy machine running XP to initially start the browser. That's ridiculous!"

Yes, it is ridiculous. But mainly because this is clearly untrue. About 2.5 seconds on a laptop with a 5200 rpm HDD, so I'm not buying that at all.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of favour

I am increasingly finding that Firefox is falling out of favour on my machines. FC11 was the final straw, I found the version shipped unstable and slow, initially I put it down to FC11 as the problem but runnig Opera is much faster and far more stable. Again I find that Opera on my Windows machines is more stable and faster than firefox, I use it about 50/50 with IE only a few months ago I was using FF and IE about 60/40.

19. Trix 1
    FAIL

@SteveX

2 seconds with Google will tell you how to make the address bar revert back to the old behaviour - http://tinyurl.com/kodbpp. Personally, I like the new behaviour, so sod off of mine.

20. Jedi Name Germinator
    Pint

@ Sailfish

I owe you one.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

A few issues...

Fix the fucking URL bar that has a penchant to hang (brand new installation on a brand new XP install) the entire browser. Fix the god-awful close time so that I don't have to wait thirty seconds to re-open the browser if I realize I need something else ("firefox is all ready running!").

In fact, how about you people just update Firefox 2 with all of the new security fixes and html/code updates. The user interface was PERFECT until you fucktards ruined it.

Also, what is it with you Opera people? You're like the idiots who show up to a Windows vs Mac vs Linux debate and scream about BeOS. NO ONE CARES.

22. Trix 1
    Pirate

As for Opera

Four words: Gmail Manager and Adblock Plus (and the numerous other handy extensions). That "block content" thing in Opera is complete pants - Adblock's big win is the subscription that dynamically updates the aggregated block list on your machine. And Gmail Manager is da bomb.

23. Mark 9

@James Duncan

Once you try Opera, you will never want to go back, trust me....

It might take a while for it to "gel", but once it does, it's the browser you dreamed of..

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good but..

FF 3.5 crashes when I want to view a video (from youtube for example) in fullscreen, also the google gears is not compatible....

This topic is closed for new posts.