back to article HP shows off Simple home backup

HP has extended its home external storage offering with SimpleSave portable and desktop products using WD drives. The USB-connected products come with software which provides "simple and automatic backup for photos, video, music and data". The idea is that the software scans a desktop or notebook PC's hard drive looking for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MarcF
    Paris Hilton

Note to self...

Exclude Temporary Internet Files from file extension search backups.

Paris because, let's face it, she's probably on my hard drive somewhere.

2. SynnerCal
    Joke

The name is wrong

So it's a 'ho-hum, me too' product - well I've got a suggestion how to differentiate the next version.

Paint it red, and given that it automatically backs up JPG's (and presumably PNG's etc too) rename it as the "SmutStore". Better still - add the ability to encrypt and password protect.

It'd be ideal if Ann Summer's ever extend's their 'tech' line - just the thing to safeguard that collection of dodgy downloads from the net....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

five what?

If the host PC is idle for five mintes then a backup session starts.

so how long is five mintes then?

4. Ebeneezer Wanktrollop
    FAIL

Rename it!

Searches your hard drives for images!!!!

May is well call it 'The Divorce Box'

5. James Pickett

Alternatively...

Download Google's Picasa, allow it to find all your pictures, then select 'Backup Pictures'.

Karen Kenworthy's 'replicator' program is also good and free:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

And to think I used to use Xcopy...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They'd better focus on developing a more apropriate backup media

Having to backup terabyte hard disks on 4GB DVD (ok 8 for dual layer) reminds me of the floppy disk era. Just invent something and make sure it's not compatible with whatever the recording industry uses so they can not cripple it like they did with the existent media.

7. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Pint

re: five what?

A minte is a standard minute multiplied by 1 beer. Therefore 5 mintes looks like someone is writhing stories from the pub today.

Beer icon... nuf said

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And like everything from HP

It'll cause Office 2007 to crash if you attempt to back up any images while trying to edit a document.

HP really don't have a clue about software.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like