back to article Qantas cancels $3bn Dreamliner order

Oz airline Qantas has cancelled its $3bn order for 15 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, the BBC reports. Qantas said the decision was due to "the worsening economic environment" and not the repeated delays in the 787 programme which was earlier this week knocked back for a fifth time due to "a need to reinforce an area within the side- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

BOEING

QANTAS don't WANTUS !

2. nichomach
    FAIL

Well...

...that's Boeing fscked, then.

3. GeorgeTuk

Oh dear...

...I wonder if they are going to re-place the order for a different aircraft, maybe a cheaper older (in design terms) one?

4. 1fortheroad
    Welcome

The order wasn't cancelled!

Actually, the order was for 75 Dreamliners, it was reduced to 50. Another 15 planes have been rescheduled to come 4 years later than originally planned. Of the 50 planes, 35 are B787-9, and 15 are B787-8. Quantas have options on another 50 787 planes.

Source: http://www.aerocontact.com/ (in french)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

The Flying Rat Eats Air

Qantas has enough trouble -- outsourced their Maintenance to Manila (and only got a lousy t-shirt) which screwed all kinds of flights up. Then decided it was cheaper to put rat-on-a-stick as the onboard meal, and then quit serving magazines / water unless you're dying of thirst. They're a predator, blocking international competition on some routes in the Pacific, and need to be gone.

Even their own staff call the misguided, frequently broken down A-380 the A-Three-Latey because of issues.

They can only offshore / outsource so much before they will have to be split up and sold on. Sooner the better for us all in Oz......

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@nichomach

Last time I checked, they had orders for dozens and dozens of the things, and a backlog of some 1000+ aircraft to build. I think they'll be OK.

7. RainForestGuppy
    WTF?

I ain't going to fly on that thing Sucka!!! **

Boeing spend billions designing a plane and then find out that there is "a need to reinforce an area within the side-of-body section of the aircraft".

What the designers didn't make it strong enough!!!!

I don't know what it is, but something about the 787 that feels wrong, like it's just a kneejerk reaction to the A380, and the Boeing marketing/sales people have made too many claims on range and efficiency that the engineers are struggling to meet.

** Say in a Mr T voice.

8. Andy Barber
    Thumb Up

Hello...

...Airbus then. At least it's not a plastic (Aircraft) kit & can ACTUALLY fly! BUT if the Oz's buy Airbus, they'll get the ones made in China but at least it's an Airbus though. The words 'Hudson River', 'freezing water', 'Airbus' & '100% survival rate'; spring to mind!

BTW Get rid of the BG icon's!

9. s. pam Silver badge
    Unhappy

Ahem Andy, wanna swim in the Atlantic

Airbus is no more immune than any other airline in being able to fly. Weather's weather, financial storms are just B.S. in the press matey-O

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Andy Barber

'At least it's not a plastic (Aircraft) kit'

If Qantas were to order different planes now, they'd probably go for the A350 which has even more composites than the 787.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like