back to article HTC Hero comes with Adobe Flash

Adobe has confirmed that the latest Android handset from HTC, the Hero, will come with a proper Flash client: version 9 with support for ActionScript 2, with version 10 to follow some time next year. Mobile phones have long been considered underpowered for a proper Flash experience, and Adobe tried to push a cut-down version …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 10
    Megaphone

Right then, Jobs...

I couldn't give a monkeys about the iPhone apps license agreement - the fact is, either you get Flash sorted on the iphone, or you get overtaken by rivals whose handsets offer a more complete internet experience.

Alternatively, you could always look to change the entire internet to stop using Flash....

2. Jim Coleman
    Jobs Horns

....but not....

"...Flash could find a comfortable home on a wide range of mobile phones."

But presumably not the iPhone? Having Flash on the iPhone would allow it to run all manner of Flash-based games and other stuff, and AFAIK that's against Apple's policies.

Does that mean that once Flash has rolled out to Blackberries, WinMo, Palm Pre etc., the iPhone will remain forever the only phone to not have the full Web Experience (tm) ?

3. James Le Cuirot
    Linux

Official open source Flash client?

If that's true, that's fantastic. An official open implementation of Flash is exactly what the Gnash project needs as a reference!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a start

It's a start, but without ActionScript 3.0 it still doesn't support 'modern' Flash content.

And that - in itself - undermines the main strength of Flash - ubiquity of the latest version / not having to deal with different profiles, etc.

5. Lottie
    Pint

All this

... and it's rumoured to be coming out on Orange. I think I know where I'll be going for my next handset :-)

6. hugh
    Jobs Horns

more interestingly

he used a multitouch type gesture to zoom in and out.

steve wont like that

7. Steve Foster

Boo!

It's extremely rare that the use of Flash actually _adds_ to a website (so often, it's just used "because it's Flash" when the content would be just fine as plain HTML), so the lack of it on mobiles has been a positive benefit for surfing from the phone (IMHO).

I hope there'll be a way to disable it (like Opera and Firefox provide).

8. Jimbo 7
    Thumb Up

nice

I can play hulu on my cell phone !! well if AT&T will actually offer this phone in 2012

9. John B

@ Lottie

I believe it may be possible to buy online, 'sim free' ...

10. James Neave
    Thumb Up

@Jim Coleman

"Does that mean that once Flash has rolled out to Blackberries, WinMo, Palm Pre etc., the iPhone will remain forever the only phone to not have the full Web Experience (tm) ?"

We can but only hope. Now, make it work on my SE C905 or Opera Mini please :)

11. Giles Jones Gold badge

Flash

Other than games and awful banner adverts what is the "killer" application for flash?

I run Flashblock with Firefox and don't notice any impairment.

As for the iPhone, YouTube is about the only think flash is useful for and the iPhone has a YouTube application.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like