back to article Homer Simpson debuts in Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations

Homer Simpson has agreeably made his debut in the new edition of the Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations, sharing page space with other newbies including Pamela Anderson, Pope Benny 16, David Cameron, Paula Radcliffe, and Oprah Winfrey. Homer is honoured for several classics, including this now-legendary piece of wisdom: " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Homer fave

My Homer favourite is: "If something is difficult to do, it's not worth doing". I have that on a coffee mug...

2. Rat

Hail to the Kwyjibo!

This cromulent article certainly embiggened my understanding of modern quotations.

3. Wade Burchette

They missed some

"To alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" -- Homer

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." -- Homer again

"That's where I met the Leprechaun, he tells me to burn things." -- Ralph

And there are so many more. But those are some of my favorites.

4. Gordon Matson

Classic Ralph

i bent my wookie!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best for me is this stark truth

"I'm not popular enough to be different"

6. Gary Littlemore

Rocket Science

"It's not Rocket Science... Get it sorted." - Gary Littlemore 2007

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Rocket Science

Are you sure you don't work with me...thats our unofficial company motto now

8. Clive Galway

favourites

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip" - Homer Simpson

"I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and wierd" - Abe Simpson - and it has an IT angle

IGMC

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Down a two-way lane

"Television - teacher, mother, secret lover..." - Homer

10. Gary Littlemore

Re: Re: Rocket Science

Did you like that one?

Where do you work? You never know, I could be sat next to you... Phil is that you.

11. MishyMoshy

The Book of Prescott

You mean a quote *about* Prescott got in but Prescott himself didn't? Snobs. Hopefully he at least made it into the normal dictionary with 'Balklands' and my fave 'Hydrocardigans'.

12. Alex

too many great ones

"Donuts, is there anything they can't do?"

"Relax? I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or-- *ugh*-- only two synonyms? Oh my God, I'm losing my perspicacity!"

"This enormous woman will devour us all!"

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spoilt for choice...

My favourite Homer line ever, on the subject of valet parking:

"Maybe for once, someone will call me 'Sir', without adding; 'you're making a scene'."

14. Matthew Henry

Sci/Tech angle

Surely the best Homer quotation of all is his response to Lisa's "Daddy, Daddy, I've invented a perpetual motion machine!"

"Lisa, in this house we obey the second law of thermodynamics!"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Classic Quotes!

I always liked

"Green belt is a labour Idea and we plan to build on it" - John Prescott

"Cats have 9 lives, which makes them ideal for experimentation!" - Jimmy Carr

And surely they had to add the Ralph Wiggan classic:

"My cat smells like cat food"

:D

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best Homer comment

"When you think about it...mud is nothing but wet dirt"

17. AM

Not so famous quote

"What the hell was that?!" - Captain, RMS Titanic

18. Richard Jones

Not Homer, but it could be, and I like it,

"Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me!" - Ricky Bobby

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re; Captain, RMS Titanic

I thought it was 'No need to worry, we're just stopping to take on a little ice'.

20. Jerry Benson-Montgomery

Deep Thoughts

My favorite is from the old Saturday Night Live bit entitled "Deep Thoughts"....

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

21. Jos

My favourites...

Ok, I know, it's a bit late to respond, but I have an excuse. I was doing a practice round for Friday night on Thursday, and suddenly it was Sunday.

"Alright brain. I don't like you and you don't like me, so just get me through this exam so I can go back to kiling you slowly with beer" - Homer Simpson

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Jos

This topic is closed for new posts.