back to article National Guardsman suspended over personal website

The personal assistant to California National Guard's commanding officer was "placed on leave" on Wednesday pending a probe into the content of his personal website howtokillpeople.com. According to the Contra Costa Times, Senior Airman Travis Gruber of Sacramento - who's been Major Gen. William Wade's aide for a year - didn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. threaded

Journo in misrepresentation shocka

So a journalist misrepresents someones comments and makes a news story out of it. Same old same old.

Was a really good website, very funny.

Sad that the more and more of this that happens, the more and more the web becomes this homogeneous 'safe place' and you get the feeling like walking around the supermarket after it has driven all the corner shops and boutiques out of business.

2. Nicholas Cole

How they found him

He wonders how they found him. I suspect the information supplied by a simple "whois" query of his domain name did most of the work!

3. Rob

To be fair..

I'm sure many of us would like to help him in his quest for "the wholesale slaughter of every idiot on the face of the planet."

It'd make the daily lives of us IT folk a lot bloody easier :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a suggestion

In the article it quotes him saying:

"I, honestly, would like nothing more than to assist in the wholesale slaughter of every idiot on the face of the planet."

Perhaps for efficiency he could start with himself, after all its important to be thorough and why travel to foreign climes when he's clearly got important business in his own house / trailer.

Guys like this who have guns make me want to have guns as well! I think this explains why the septics (tanks - yanks) have so many guns. Its got nothing to do with crime they just all want to have more guns the neighbourhood looney.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Middle of the road

He appears to live not in a trialer but in the midde of the road

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"You talkin' to me?"

He would have to be called Travis, wouldn't he?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

joke?

If he was doing irony in the US he will be a good bet for a spell in Cuba.

8. Dave

Wayback Machine

Anything before May 2007 is still available via the Internet Archive. A quick look suggests he is actually quite funny. Let's hope his sense of humour gets him through whatever happens next.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: To be fair..

It will only make some of us IT folk's lives easier - there are plenty of idiots in IT as well

10. Craig Poxon

Probably doesn't know about web.archive.org either

If he doesn't know about whois...

http://web.archive.org/web/20070522044015/http://howtokillpeople.com/

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sense of humour?

It is a known fact that irony, satirical humour and wit is lost on most Americans. Perhaps this is one American whose sense of humour has gone over the heads of the humourless Puritanical Bible-bashers fueled by an equally humourless or hungry journo out to make a scoop. Ironical but not funny...

12. Colin Jackson

Eejit

"How Mr. Peele acquired that information is beyond me."

The regular way, dumbass.

Registrant:

Travis Gruber

5116 Robertson Ave

Carmichael, CA 95608

US

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google again...

If you wanna see what this is all about, query google with the cache: option, e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fhowtokillpeople.com%2Fcontact%2F&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

14. Cameron Colley

Thi kind of article worries me a lot.

It would be nice if the internet were an anonymous place where people could exchange views frankly, with humour, and without censorship. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case and I;, for one, am becoming increasingly worried about facing problems in real life because of things posted "anonymously" on the internet.

*wonders what the helicopter is doing overhead and why those ropes have appeared outside the window*

15. Joe Flynn

For the curious...

Here's the site in it's former glory: http://web.archive.org/web/20070522044015/http://howtokillpeople.com/

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Charity begins at home.

"I, honestly, would like nothing more than to assist in the wholesale slaughter of every idiot on the face of the planet"

How kind of him to offer to help. Well, if that's really what he wants, he could make a good start by throwing himself off a cliff...

17. Gareth

Seems like a second-rate Maddox/Tucker Max

The description of the site in the article makes it sound like a hate pamphlet... but reading the archive.org mirror of the site it seems like the guy was just trying to do some over-the-top Maddox/Tucker Max style humour writing.

Rather than WHOIS, I'd imagine they found him from his own passing around of the URL to friends at work, and it eventually filtered up the ranks to one of those people who gets offended at everything and decided to make a complaint.

18. John A Blackley

@Sense of Humour

"It is a known fact that ..........etc, etc., etc. (more anti-American drivel).

Actually, the only self-evident, "known fact' in your anonymous post is that you didn't have anything of substance to say.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sense of Humour

It is a known fact that Americans get all defensive when attention is drawn to their humour-deficiency.

20. John PM Chappell

Yanks...

... misunderstand what 'irony' is, what 'satire' is and tend to consider puerile slapstick to be the entirety of humour. This combined with a huge chip-on-the-shoulder about their country or themselves being laughed at is what causes those of us outside the USA to laugh all the harder and repeat the old "Yanks have no sense of humour" line ;¬)

P.S. Germans used to do a nice line in much the same vein but seem to have lightened up in recent decades.

21. Neil

To be even fairer

given the "have you turned it off & on again" level of knowledge of your average support monkey, "the wholesale slaughter of every idiot on the face of the planet." would probably involve the culling of a whole lot of IT folk too...

22. Rhys

I much prefer Mr FreeMarket

Good british humour and always ready to bash the wogs, krauts, cheese eating surrender monkeys and anyone else that gets in the way of his rather acerbic wit.

Plus plenty of posts on famous happenings "on this day" and plenty of firearms.

www.fmft.net

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If he wasn't in the Guard

Nobody would care. As it is, military personnel have some pretty tight restrictions on what they are and are not allowed to say. And, as surprising as it might be, British humor isn't lost on a lot of people in the US, at least in the technology field.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the site is back up.

he may have taken it down, but as of 10am (NY) 27th October, the site is back up.

25. John A Blackley

@Sense of Humour

Perhaps, SoH, I wouldn't know - not being an 'American'. My problem isn't with particular nationalities, it's with kneejerk reactions and stereotypes.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Freedom is unamerican

How dare someone state an opinion that is critical of or contrary to that of the authorities! And to use humour and creative prose! Shame shame shame!

Speaking one's mind is unamerican and should result in prison time, a stiff fine, and as much violence and personal harm as is necessary to enforce conformity to state propaganda and media limits on public discussion.

One wonders why the media is so strongly opposed to the free expression of citizens that one of its hack writers takes pain to create a story to harm someone using their First Amendment rights of expression. Should citizens only be permitted to express views agreeable to the media entertainment companies?

27. Peter W

did Lester actually read the site?

seems pretty funny to me, whereas the article reads as if the bloke was a nutter...

This topic is closed for new posts.