back to article Ministry of Defence offers luvvies reprieve

UK regulator Ofcom has published detailed proposals for the entertainment industry's spectrum usage, making it clear that the Program Makers and Special Events crowd will be thrown to the open market come 2018. PMSE users connect microphones, talkback systems and wireless cameras over radio spectrum licensed from the JFMG ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't anarchy be a lot cheaper

and a lot more fun.

Imagine no Ofcom, it isn't hard to do, no BBC below us and above us only ... whoops.

So many rules and regulations, they just stymie cultural expression.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

Clairvoyant bicycling pony-riding juggling singing dog trick

"Ofcom works out what the spectrum would be worth on the open market and charges that amount"

Yes.

3. NogginTheNog
    Coat

Opera

In the old days performers on stage used the power of their lungs (with some assistance from the acoustics of the venue) to be heard.

Coat with the personal amplification unit built into the lapels... :-D

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What does the regulator know? Diddly squat, says I

"The regulator does concede, however, that having the MoD as the primary user of most of the spectrum reduces that value significantly."

If that be the case, the regulator is not fit for future purpose.... and needs to be immediately changed. Why prolong the Agony of Virtual Ignorance and Analogue Arrogance?

And IT would then then require the MOD to Run Feelers Mainstream to Command and Control the Liberated Passion for Freedom rather than Democracy, which are two completely seperate and incompatible things .... Socio-Political AIMs, with only the One being Viable.

5. Steve Oliver 2
    WTF?

@amanfromMars 1

English isn't your normal language is it? Really, it isn't is it? I actually thought I was going to understand one of your normally incomprehensible postings when I realised the beginning was a quote from the article....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wheres my 3G

Have OFCON not learnt anything from their 3G auction. They made lots of money from the auction but for some reason we have no 3G. Is that because the licenses where too expensive because of a rigged auction.

7. John Miles 1

Radio Mic spectrum - replace kit

Quite apart from the politics and economics of charging for spectrum there is the other issue that all the 'entertainment industry' UHF radio mics will need to be changed or modified. I guess in the business they probably get replaced every few years anyway, but this kit is not cheap - so it could be a major initial one off cost.

The good news ( I think) is that non-professionals who use radio mics on the unlicensed part of the spectrum e.g. Churches, clubs, personal use etc. will still have that part of the spectrum available.

See this article http://www.theaudiofiles.net/?p=386#more-386

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

BA in Performing Art

<Operatic singing>

Would you like fries with thaaaaaat?

</Operatic singing>

9. Mike007 Bronze badge

hmm

perhaps they could decrease the value of the spectrum by making more of it available? the vast majority of it is sitting empty, huge chunks allocated to people who aren't using it

the military for example have huge bands which they simply don't need, these frequencies are never/rarely used, and i just had a quick look online and found a list of "allocations" in these bands, needless to say it's not surprising they are mostly empty

a quick grep from the allocations in 2 of their bands i found (not covering all of their allocations!) showed 98 channels allocated for US Air Force mid-air refueling (they have separate channels for other air/air communications.. these are apparently dedicated to just USAF refueling operations - other countries have separate refueling allocations!)

if you're looking for spectrum to use for something, forget ofcom they just want to sell you public resources for private profit - ask the military instead, they have plenty of spectrum!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like