back to article Samsung demos OLED security card

Samsung has demoed an electronic ID card with integrated low-power OLED. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com The credit card-sized ID has a 2in, 240 x 320 OLED screen embedded into it that displays a slowly spinning woman’s head. Presumably the card also has an RFID chip embedded into it, because – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew Smith
    Thumb Down

Yeah, but...

Why include the screen in the card? There will have to be some sort of special powering device external to the card to power the OLED display. So why not have a screen than the card whilst you are at it, and the card only need carry the face information.

2. Christian Berger

nice, but...

Nice, but there are more serious applications to it other than ID-cards. If you add buttons, you can have a trusted terminal. Propperly done it could safe many problems of chip-cards or RFID cards.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

And the point of this being?

What is the matter with good old fashioned "face on" photographs?

This serves no purpose other than to show the holder at the time when they had the image taken. The multiple angle element does nothing to strengthen the system it just adds a nice movie to the card.

If anything it will take longer to look at and potentially slow down processing.

4. Nigel Whitfield.

Hang on ...

Isn't that Krystle Carrington?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Hate the application

But I have to admit a *very* clever system.

An OLED powered by RFID.

Impressive.

Thumbs down for the application. Thumbs would be up for something else.

6. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Go

I bet Buck Rogers has one of these!

I want one as well, how very futuristic!

7. James Loughner
    Coat

Exercist

Is that Linda Blair????

Or Maybe Fahrenheit 451 preview???

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

OK, I gotta say...

...that is freakin' COOL. I mean... if I'm going to live in a world full of minority-report-style privacy invasion, I at -least- want awesome scifi tech like this to go with it!

9. Matt 142
    Paris Hilton

You sir!

@ Matthew Smith:

You sir need to read!

"There will have to be some sort of special powering device external to the card to power the OLED display."

"...display requires such a small amount of power that it can be driven by an RFID reader."

10. Tel
    Go

Fab

Excellent proof of concept.

There are pros and cons in using this sort of thing in real life, but I can see how it could augment existing security protocols on plastic cards and would certainly be useful for portable identity verification where the verifier isn't able to carry around a device with a screen on it.

For credit cards I see its application being more in America where photos on cards are the routine versus the UK's reliance on PINs.

Might not work for those of us who prefer our hair to have a different colour for each day of the week though!

Still, it's cool tech. I'm sure it'll find a use somewhere.

11. Jimbo 7

dammm

I just don't get all the negative comments .... this is a demo of a technology, not a product.

I think this is really really cool technology and quite amazing how much power you need or better say dont need.

12. frank ly
    Stop

The Devil is in the detail

(The title is not an 'Exorcist' joke.....well, maybe a little..) Does it use an industry standard RFID reader or have they pumped up the power output for this one? I notice the demo guy has to reach way back to put the card on the display stand. Is this because they need a darkened area to enable viewing; or is it to prevent people's fleshy bits from being harmed by the radiated power density levels at the card surface?

(AFAIK, OLED displays are suitable for viewing in high ambient light conditions, hence my suspicions)

13. James Taylor 1
    Paris Hilton

Looks ok but...

What happens when someone absentmindedly puts the thing in their back pocket. 'Crack!'

Unless these are super flexible OLEDs, I think that there is still a long way to go before these are anything more than a proof of concept.

14. Keith T

Just because it is powered by an RFID electric field doesn't mean it has an RFID chip.

Just because it is powered by an RFID electric field doesn't mean it has an RFID chip.

It could just use the induced current to power the display, meaning it would just have the antenna function, not the ID function.

15. peter 3
    Stop

Matt 142

Because, why not have the screen attached to the RFID reader to view the image on the card.

Why have it on the card.

16. Matthew Smith
    Heart

On second thoughts

Alright, maybe I was too jumpy. Its still a daft application, but certainly a very nice demo application. I'm just fearful of the day of having shelves of singing yogurt pots. Its coming, and its going to start with tech like this.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like